Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey Review


"How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate."

Do you know what I did after finishing this? I giggled hysterically. Can you believe that? Giggled. And there was barely anything worth laughing about in The Infinite Sea. I think this is a clear sign that I'm insane. Insane, I repeat. I mean, this book is really serious, and I'm just laughing with no reason. Cuckoo. Definitely.

Alright, here we go. The Infinite Sea is actually much more bearable than The Fifth Wave. Honestly, the POVs just drive me crazy. Rick Yancey never tells the readers who is who, and sometimes you just have to take a wild shot at the character's list. 

And I really needed a crazy recap of The Fifth Wave. I don't joke on that. I was so lost until the second part of the book. That was about when I finally started remembering things (The Perilous Sea took a lot of energy). Remember how long The Fifth Wave was? Ugh, I totally needed that recap, but I managed to pull it up in the end.

The writing is a bit boring. It is irritatingly dry, and it could use a bit of polishing, but I'll ignore that because of Evan Walker. Well, I'm not going to ignore it. Evan Walker, no matter how great he is, can't erase errors.

Cassie is a bit more tough now. She isn't that sweet girl in the beginning, but she is still strong. She still has the best of her. And she is slightly weird, but I can totally overlook that. But I'm super annoyed by all these characters and their POVs. Evan Walker. He isn't so bad, actually. He is actually kind of awesome. Ringer. She is amazing. She is weak in the beginning. Well, not that weak, but she does end up being stronger in the end. And there are a few other POVs, of course. Poundcake's history is revealed, and I won't say anymore.

Wow. That is a quite interesting mashup of characters.

The ending ends quite nicely. I'm not going to say anything, but I really liked how Mr. Yancey ended the entire thing.

But it is a year before the sequel is released. Am I just killing myself over sequels? Unfortunately, according to my to-reads list, I am.

Overall, I think I should had read The Infinite Sea when the third book is out. That way, I won't be so annoyed and irritated. The ending and characters are good though.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment