Monday, September 29, 2014

The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas Review


"After spending the summer away from each other, Titus and Iolanthe (still disguised as Archer Fairfax) are eager to return to Eton College to resume their training to fight the Bane. Although no longer bound to Titus by a blood oath, Iolanthe is more committed than ever to fulfilling her destiny—especially with the agents of Atlantis quickly closing in.

Soon after arriving at school, though, Titus makes a shocking discovery, one that makes him question everything he previously believed about their mission. Faced with this devastating realization, Iolanthe is forced to come to terms with her new role, while Titus must choose between following his mother's prophecies—and forging a divergent path to an unknowable future."

Oh, my goodness. The ending of The Perilous Sea is epic. I love it. I'm going to say that it is a little contest between Titus and the Bane (the main villain of the story), but it is not just little. It is epic and awesome. My favorite part is Titus considering to send elephant feces to the Bane. Best part ever. And his arrogance is awesome. Never have I ever loved a character more for their sassiness. Well, other than Regina Mills, of course. I'll consider Dean Winchester, too. And some other characters, too. I love sass, don't you? 

Alright, let's get moving.

The Perilous Sea starts of weird enough in the beginning, but I love it. (I love it!) It is a bit confusing at first, because I sort of forgotten some parts of the plot and story of The Burning Sky, but I do manage to jump those old brain cells. Yes, I do remember the entire story around the fifth chapter of The Perilous Sea.

Let me explain "weird." Part of The Perilous Sea is told from the past, but that is very irritating, though I do see a need for the author to tell the story like that. Still, it is annoying. And for that awfulness, I'm going to dock points.

However, I will give points for Titus' sassiness and awesome remarks. I just love him. I think the last time I'd seen the guy (a book character) like him was Raphael in Angelfall. Oh. I read Angelfall last month. That wasn't very long ago. Darn. It felt like half a year ago. It is funny how fast and slow time goes by. It just depends on perspective.

Told from two POVs, The Perilous Sea is awesome. I really enjoyed it despite the terrible start we had together. Great job, Sherry Thomas. Even though this is the middle child of the possible trilogy, it rarely failed or stopped in its path.

Titus is awesome. I think I told you that too many times. Thomas does go into a bit of relationship dive, but it wasn't too bad. It just says a lot about Titus and Iolanthe. 

Iolanthe, too! She is good, but she isn't as good as Titus and his sassiness. Even his romantic words and his pokes at his old words (though he certainly doesn't remember it) is hilarious and entertaining. For that, I consider The Perilous Sea worth it. Worth reading even though there is a sequel coming out sometimes next year.

A sequel. I have to wait another year.

Let me sob in a corner, will you?

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment