Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Demon Kissed by H.M. Ward Review


"The Valefar boy tricked Ivy Taylor into kissing him, but he took much more than a kiss - he stole her soul and left her within inches of death. By surviving, Ivy is drawn into the conflict between the Martis and the Valefar. The war between these two immortal forces has raged for millennia without distraction. Until now.

Ivy is an anomaly-she is the only person who has ever walked away from a demon kiss alive. Her survival gives her unique and deadly abilities. Too powerful to ignore, Ivy is a threat to both armies. These two ancient enemies will stop at nothing to kill the seventeen-year-old.

Surviving is nothing new for headstrong Ivy, but her survival has never depended on another person before. This time it does. And if she misplaces her trust, she's dead. To her horror, she starts falling in love at the worst possible time-with the enemy. He appears to be protecting her. But she can't be certain if he is trying to help her, or help himself to her power. For Ivy, trusting the right person is the difference between love and survival, or a deadly demon kiss."

I'm going to say that Demon Kissed has pretty much nothing to do with angels and demons. Well, maybe demons. Angels have yet to appear. Demons appeared at the end, but I'm not going to explain it all. It is a bit complicated. Then again, all books are complicated... so? I guess it's a stalemate?

I'll explain this world H.M. Ward created. Martis is the good guys. They are forces of lights (aligned with the angels) and fight for the good. (Kind of like Nephilim, I believe?) Oh, and they are immortal. Isn't that a shame? (Already, I'm sadly comparing this to Twilight). Valefar is the demons. They aren't exactly demons like demon demon, but they are fairly close to it. For the sake of simplicity, let's just say that Valefar is demons on earth while demons are demons in their home dimension. Okay, that just didn't make any sense. I should say that Valefar are evil beings on earth while demons are demons. I hope that makes a bit more sense. Anyway, this is obviously a fight between good and evil. Sounds a bit like... Well, it sounds like a lot of books. And stories. And tv shows.

Ivy is one weird character. I have no idea what she is like. Seriously. After reading this entire book, I have no idea what she is like. For some parts of the book, I declare her really stupid. For others, I declare her idiot and ignorant. For other parts... Well, let's just say that not all words are as colorful as the ones I used. Sometimes, I feel like Ivy is one weird character. Oh, crap. I already said that. (Sign of Alzheimer's?) Anyway, I would be seriously worried for my fate if she holds the fate of the world in her hands. For the record, I'm going to say that this girl is the last person who should be all-powerful and so trusting of others. I have more faith (a whole lot more) in Crowley. Even Lucifer (I trust he fails, which he did, so that is kind of the entire point)! (Supernatural reference, right there!)

Unfortunately, there is a love triangle. And no, it is nothing like Rose and Dimitri. Eric (one of the love interest) is a good warrior (like Dimitri) and the main character's teacher (like Dimitri). (Dang, I should had drawn more parallels between The Vampire Academy than Twilight or Supernatural). But he doesn't have great chemistry with Ivy. Ivy and Collin, on the other hand, has the same amount of chemistry as a lamp and a curtain (aka: does not exist). Honestly, there isn't much of a relationship between many of these characters. Most of them have trust issues, love issues, usage issues (that sounds a bit weird), kissing issues, and trust issues (I do realize I repeat that).

Overall, I'm going to say that Demon Kissed is boring yet also interesting (but only because of the angels part, which they didn't even show up for; so I'm probably not going to read the next book). The only redeeming part is probably the prophecy, which I don't even know (sounds like Percy Jackson to me, now). I don't know. It is bad, but not too bad. Bearable, yes. In some parts. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. That is for sure.

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment