Monday, September 1, 2014

Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting Review


"The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found. Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally, she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger."

It has been awhile since I read The Body Finder. Despite the amount of years since then, I can still remember flickers of The Body Finder here and there. Desires of the Dead does bring some memories and words back, and it was enough for me to understand and remember in the previous book. Good job, Ms. Derting. Memory recall. Use certain words and little gestures here and there to bring back the reader's lost or suppressed memories.

Anyway, Violet is now different. She isn't the same girl as in the previous girl (from what I can recall). She is rather shy and nervous. Her gift pretty much controls her, and she doesn't like it very much (and who does? The ability, her ability, to find the dead is really scary). She is drawn to dead bodies and dead animals. They call out to her, wanting her to find them.

Jay, best friend turned boyfriend, is more withdrawn in Desires of the Dead. Like what the synopsis said, Jay and Mike are besties. They are pretty much hanging out together all the time, leaving Violet even more sad (or depressed or jealous). I like one of the quotes in Desires of the Dead. Violet said something about having to compete with Mike for Jay's attention. It sadly reminds me of a thrown away toy. Violet, in that situation, is the thrown away toy.

Unfortunately, Ms. Derting spends some time building up a foundation for a new character named Rafe. A character foundation or relationship foundation? Hmm... I think it is a bit of both. I'm seriously hoping that Rafe wouldn't be the third part of a triangle, but I'm seriously considering Rafe to be another love interest for Violet. And from the small clues Ms. Derting thrown at me, I'm guessing he is like Violet. He is someone special like her. However, his powers probably differ from Violet's ability to find dead bodies. Remember that girl (the main character) from the Touch series? I bet Rafe's powers are probably similar to hers. He can probably... Well, I'm not going to explain my theories. There are so many of them that it will take so long for me to describe them all.

The Big Bad is the "dark truth" in the synopsis. I'm not going to explain it, but I'm going to say that you don't have to worry about The Big Bad. Violet doesn't realize that someone is gunning after her, and when she does, she doesn't care very much/tries to help them.

Overall, Desires of the Dead is an interesting sequel to The Body Finder. I would be reading Desires of the Dead's sequel, but I read some spoilers for The Last Echo, so... I think I would lay off the series until I forget about that particular piece of information.

Anyway, Desires of the Dead sucked me right in.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment