Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ink by Amanda Sun Review

Happy New Years! I'm so done with 2013.

I receive a copy from Harlequin.


"On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive."

Japanese guys are usually hot. I just have to make that statement. Sorry to all the guys who are reading this review. I hope I didn't make this review officially awkward.

Tomohiro is definitely hot. (Yeah, I'm starting this review off on the picky subject of the Japanese boy. I have to. He's really hot and I really like to start on the hottest subjects to reel you in). If you like Tobias from Divergent, you'll like him. He can really be a cold jerk/fish at times, but he means well. I really like it whenever he interacts with Katie, but sometimes I wonder if he goes a bit too far. Okay, he definitely goes too far at some occasions.

And Katie is the weirdest stalker. I don't know why Tomohiro likes her, and I don't think turning stalker girls into girlfriends are such a great idea. Katie may had seen pictures move and that sort of thing, but I don't think she should follow him and hang out with him (even though their interactions are explosive). I think she should had run back to the Americas at first flight available. I wary of the character's thought process.

Despite all of this, I'm hungry for a sequel. And it's coming out next year! Well, this year actually. It's 2014 for most of you guys (I'm writing this in 2013).

The plot of Ink is insane. We get pop ins from the mob and Katie's aunt to a dragon and some crazy other stuff. It takes about half of the book for Katie to realize that Tomohiro is a freaking ____ (magician is what I would like to say, but he isn't a magician). Then again, it takes a while for a foreigner to understand Japanese. It's amazing how fast Katie picks it up. If I had to pick up a language far from English (like Latin based languages), I'll eventually be frustrated like Katie. Katie, unlike me, didn't give up. (Yes, I gave up earlier this year).

The writing of Amanda Sun is addicting. It has been awhile since I read anything this good. I kid you not. This book is really good. I never really thought that Ink would be good until I read the first page. Then I knew that I got myself submerged in something that's not water, but ink. I love how the book is written. It has a few pictures, but also a lot of words and ink.

The ending. I need the sequel. That's my conclusion. Even after all this weird stalker thing with Katie (apparently Tomohiro didn't tell the police to lock her up in an asylum) and Tomohiro, I still want a damn sequel. One request, no love triangle. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment