Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Coexist by Julia Crane Review


"Sixteen-year-old Keegan is struggling to keep her huge secret from her friends--she's an elf, descended from a long line of elves that live in secrecy alongside humans. 

In elfin society, mates are predetermined but not allowed to meet until they are eighteen. Against tradition, Keegan's brother Thaddeus told her Rourk's name because his visions warned him she'd need Rourk's protection, especially since Keegan will play a key role in the coming war between the dark and light elves.

Rourk finds himself drawn to Keegan's side every time she thinks his name. He wants to talk to her but remains in the shadows, silently guarding her every time she mentally beckons him. A twist of fate thrusts the two of them together when Rourk is forced to step up his protection and make his presence known.

An ancient prophecy deeply entwines Keegan's family and the future of their society. Somehow they must find a way to thwart fate and win the battle...without losing Keegan. With war brewing, and dark forces aligning, will Keegan and Rourk ever have the life together that they both desire?"

Elves, those animal to human creatures (don't remember what they are called and please, don't tell me), and some other things. I don't know and I don't care. I will never get these names straight, nor remember a detail of the elves. 

Coexist (fits the title of My Boyfriend Merlin better) is perhaps the oddest title. It kind of fits (if you think about it socially), but it's not perfect. Just not the right title. Anyway, for the most part I thought Coexist was actually quite boring. It had a few good laughs here and there, but I wasn't very impressed by this book. 

Let's talk about the creeper. Rourk, the creeper and Chosen for Keegan, is perhaps the weirdest stalker in the world. The creeper says: "Why do I do this myself? I shouldn't even be here. She's killing me. I have no self-control." Now that part really makes me laugh. Rourk is stalking (watching her) in a somewhat isolated area and he says that she's killing him. Why, he could had been the one who was planning to kill her. 

Elves and humans are obviously different even though they practically lived in the same world.

The romance between Rourk and Keegan is not there. It felt rushed and hurried. Most of us like love that develops over time. A little chemistry, but a lot more emotions. More frequently, I thought Keegan and Rourk were simply infatuated with each other and nothing more. 

The POVs. *Sighs* Never, ever, ever include the POV of a parent. Or parents, in this case. We don't want to know what they are thinking and they don't want to know we are thinking. So please, keep it this way. Especially if Keegan's dad is thinking about...I'm not going to say it. It's too disgusting. I nearly threw up right there. 

Now I'm going back to the plot. It's so weird. I feel like everything is disorganized and things are crazy. It would had been nice if Keegan focused less on Rourk and on her real life. Unlike in the book world, boys are not everything. And they shouldn't been, even in the literature world. Any author who does that is basically killing their own book and their characters. True love is not everything! (And no, I'm not anti-love. I just don't want it to become Romeo and Juliet). 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment