Friday, January 3, 2014

To Catch Her Death by Boone Brux Review


"What do you get when you cross a hockey mom with the grim reaper? Me, Lisa Carron. If being a depressed, frumpy, widowed mother of three wasn’t bad enough, I just found out I’m a grim reaper. I know what you’re thinking. Wow, that’s kind of sexy and full of awesomeness. Hardly. Oh, and my clients? Stupid people. Like I don’t get enough of that from the living. Since Alaska is big and angels of death are few, I’ve been partnered with reaper extraordinaire, Nate Cramer. He’s strong, silent, and way too good looking for my recently widowed state. Oh, and he reaps violent criminals, so that should be interesting. Forget the danger and the hours of self-analysis it will take for me to find my reaper mojo. My biggest problem? Hiding it all from my overly attentive family and nosy neighbors. Now that’s going to take a miracle."

To Catch Her Death is perhaps the shortest book I've read in awhile. It's probably a few pages over a hundred (there's no page numbers). (And this will be a short review unless I rant). 

To Catch Her Death is not exactly boring, but it's not exactly my piece of cake. I mean, from the synopsis it looks like something I will feast on, but now I know that this is totally not my favorite kind of fish. I still think it's pretty good.

The plot is so small that you need a microscope to see it. Okay, I'm totally exaggerating. But To Catch Her Death has a small plot, which I can summarize within a paragraph. It's not quite a rollercoaster, but more like that It's a Small World ride at Disney Parks. 

The writing of Boone Brux is interesting. I can submerge myself within the pages quite easily. (Even though I'm raising an eyebrow on the characters). I don't find anything too wrong about it (other than a few typos and errors). It's kind of funny in a way but also serious. 

Lisa Carron (definitely a pun) is a widowed mother of three, yet she can't seem to list all of her children's names. I'm not even sure what's even one of them. For a depressed widow, Lisa Carron is pretty happy. I kid you not. Most depressed widows I met usually cry a little and stare off into that distance, thinking about someone. Hopefully, that someone is their husband. 

Okay, I'm ranting again.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on Lisa.

The ending, however, is a whole different story. First thing I think is that To Catch Her Death could have easily been combined with the second book. No, I did not read the second book, but I can tell that the second book should had been combined with the first. It may make a much more interesting plot when it's all together. 

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment