Friday, January 31, 2014

Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi Review


"After Maddy's parents divorce, she's stuck starting over at a new high school. Friendless and nicknamed Freak Girl, Manga-loving artist Maddy finds refuge in the interactive online game Fields of Fantasy. In that virtual world, she reinvents herself as Allora, a gorgeous elfin alter ego, and meets a true friend in Sir Leo. Maddy can't hide behind Allora forever, especially as a real-life crush begins edging in on her budding virtual romance. But would anyone pick the real Maddy, gamer girl and Manga freak, over the fantasy? This fresh, geeky/cool novel includes online chats and exciting gaming, and features Maddy's Mangastyle artwork."

Gamer Girl is awesome. I can't help but be awed by this story. It may be for younger teens, but you are never too old to read something as cute as this book. It's so sweet and beautiful, but also a huge fantasy book. There's no possible way this outcome (or plot) can even happen unless fate intervene. 

Other than defying fate and possibility, Gamer Girl is an amazing book to read. I loved every moment of it. From the downs of being forced by Grandmother to wear ugly clothes to the ups when Maddy's character finally overcome all the obstacles. It's great reading about every part of this book. The author didn't leave a single nasty or good detail. Of course, there are some loose ends, but I'll forgive the author because sometimes you can't remember everything you wrote. There's about two hundred and fifty pages, so it's pretty much impossible to remember what you wrote unless you are the Terminator. Or Google.

There's one loose end that I'm really concern about. Unless I wasn't paying attention, there's a loose end between Maddy and her father. I'm not sure if Maddy simply let go of her daddy issues, but I doubt it. I think there's still a big fight coming along. But it won't happen in this book. The author will probably have to release a novella for that tie up. 

The game. From what it says on the author's website, it looks like Fields of Fantasy is acutally based of WOW (World of Warcraft, in other words). WOW is one of the biggest games in the world. There's even a record on the number of users/gamers. Anyway, how Maddy describes the game, Fields of Fantasy, made me want to play a game just like hers. It sounds so awesome and amazing. I didn't know there were games like that (then again, I read books. I don't play games, because I think they are a waste of time). 

The plot is clean other than that loose end. Maddy's storyline is such a great read. I totally recommend this book to my fellow readers, because it is just that good. (If you like Cindy Ella, you'll like this book. It's quite similar to Cindy Ella if there isn't a Cinderella and missing high heel in that book). 

I love Maddy. She's not afraid to say what she wants to say (in her head). When she punched Billy, that was a big moment for us readers. I believed in that second she was going to be legendary in the history of her high school. She reminds me of Ginny Weasley. Oh, the way she makes mundane things sound like legendary casts and spells, especially when she's playing the character in Fields of Fantasy.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment