Thursday, January 9, 2014

Crossroads by Mary Ting Review


"Can two worlds collide in dreams? 

Protecting her from the fallen was his duty.
Falling in love was never part of his plan.
Loving her was forbidden.
Being with her was all that mattered, even if it meant he would be exiled for all eternity. 

Claudia Emerson's life is about to change when her good friend, who coincidentally shares the same first and last name, dies in a tragic accident after the homecoming dance. Distraught at the loss of her friend, Claudia's dreams become tumultuous, and through them she mysteriously travels to another world called Crossroads. Unknown to her, Crossroads is like a second heaven, a place between heaven and earth, where the souls of humans in comas or near death experiences may wander. There, she unexpectedly meets Michael, a nephilim--half angel, half human. It turns out that this isn't her first visit, which is an enigma, for she has no recollection of being there, and is told that no human has crossed over...until Claudia. Now that she's been there, fallen and demons are after her, suspecting she must be special, and it is up to Michael and the other nephilim to protect her. Her dream becomes a nightmare as more secrets are revealed about who she really is, and the true identities of the people she loves most. The situation becomes even more complicated when she is unable to hinder her feelings for her swoon-worthy guardian angel. Can Michael fight his growing feelings for Claudia and protect her as a guardian angel should, or will he be too blinded by human emotions and the struggles of being who he is?"

That has to be the longest synopsis ever. I didn't even read the book synopsis because of how long it was. I only saw the cover and thought: well, this looks interesting. Then I opened the book and read, read, read.

Crossroads (not Crossrodes. If I ever made that mistake, it's because I'm super tired and kind of dizzy) is a paranormal, supernatural, angels, demons, fallen angels kind of book. This time, the love occurs between two half-angel, half-human beings. Claudia Emerson and Michael (how many of you guys thought it was Michael, the Archangel?) are the two stars of this book. 

The plot is so weird. I don't know how angels, demons, club dancing, driving, climbing mountains, and death go together in a crazy hot pizza. Wait, not a hot pizza. A hot mess. (Sorry, I'm starving for food, too). Yeah, pretty much all of those things I listed out appears in the book around one to a thousand times. Angels, obviously, appears many times. Okay, let me tell you exactly what I think of the plot. It's crazy, as if created by one crazy lunatic. (Whoa, those words crazy lunatic do not bode well together). It's a major rollercoaster. My advise, when you read this book, is to keep notes. BTW: Looking back into previous pages do help even though it hurts your pride. XD

Claudia Emerson is one strange girl. I don't know how many girls are as mature as her, but I know I'm not (cause I'm crazy). It pains me slightly that Claudia was pretty much a useless character, in the matter of kicking people's butts. Michael and his friends did most of the kicking and fighting. Maybe a more independent character would be nice? 

Again, I have to say this. Weirdly enough, it seems that all books start of with the POV of a future stalker. Then again, Michael will become her Guardian Angel so he has to stalk her because of heavenly intervention. Anyway, before Michael became her Guardian Angel he was so...You know what? I'm not going to explain what he was like. Maybe only one word hint...? Yeah, one word hint. Obsessive. 

Angels and demons...Let's not go there. Let's talk about how Ting portray angels. I'm not sure about the no emotion thing, but that's kind of weird. I don't even know what to say to that. Strange? I'm not sure what's the problem with human emotion. They are awesome. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment