Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Boyfriend Merlin by Priya Ardis Review


"He was a little older than he was letting on. By a few eons...

In this modern Arthurian, 17 year-old Boston high schooler Arriane, aka Ryan, DuLac just found out the guy she's been crushing on, hot biker Matt, is a little older than he was letting on. In fact, he is really Merlin—the Merlin, King Arthur's Merlin, the greatest wizard who ever lived. Frozen in a cave for over fifteen hundred years, he's woken for a purpose. But Ryan's not impressed. Tired of being a relationship loser, she'd rather kick his legendary behind.

Sure, the world has been crazy ever since the sword and the stone fell out of the sky like a meteor. But despite gruesome gargoyles, a deadly new world of magic, and the guy driving her crazy, Ryan knows that family is everything. Will Merlin sacrifice hers to save the world? Will she be able to stop him?"

My Boyfriend Merlin reminds me of Avalon High by Meg Cabot (I think I written a review on this book). There's Arthur, Merlin, and some other characters. (Anyone know Vane? I'm not familiar with that name in the Arthur legends). I doubt Vane exist in the legends.

Let's move forward. My Boyfriend Merlin totally reminds me of Twilight. (Everything reminds me of Twilight, sadly). Anyway, My Boyfriend Merlin is hilarious, fun, and crazy all at the same time. It stars a love triangle (Ryan, Merlin, and Vane) of one girl and two boys. Not three boys, even though their names are quite similar. *Reading at what I just typed* ...okay...that's weird...

The plot is crazy. It may not be a rollercoaster, but it does show the ups and downs of relationships, including Matt/Merlin's relationship with Ryan, Ryan's relationship with Vane, and Vane's relationship with Merlin. Did I mention Vane is Merlin's brother? 

Yep, this is officially insane.

I read the beginning of My Boyfriend Merlin a few years ago (wow, now I feel old). I was sort of interested in it because of Dr. Northe, aka the guy who looked like Matt, and I wanted to know why. (Nice hook). Now after reading the book, I realize a few things 1) Ryan can be crazy sometimes and has her life ruled by Vane and Merlin, 2) There's a bit of everything in this book (fairies, wizards, etc.), and 3) I'm totally invested in this book. I may or may not be interested in the sequels, but I am sure supporting this book when I read it. I like it, even if the guy is kind of old. (er...guys...)

It gets weirder. 

The ending stars perhaps one of the craziest plots I'd ever read (but then again, I can of not remember plots). There's something that involves limbo and other sorts of stuff. Let's not talk about it because it gets insane.

About Ryan... Crazy gal, who turns up to be...oh, wait, major spoilers. Never mind. Let's move on to Merlin, who is even crazier. Merlin is a freaking old guy, who apparently looks not a day over eighteen or twenty-five (my memory is a bit fuzzy on that). And then there's Vane, who is about the same age as Merlin. Notice that Ryan is only seventeen, while her two love interests are over a thousand years old.

What? Yeah, you better read that paragraph again.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment