Sunday, January 5, 2014

Starcursed by Nandini Bajpai Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"In the ancient city of Ujjayani, the planets align to decide the fate of two starcursed lovers. Born under the curse of Mars, brilliant and beautiful Leelavati, daughter of the famed astronomer Bhaskarya Acharya of Ujjayani, knows she can never wed. But when her childhood playmate, the handsome and rich Rahul Nagarseth, returns from sea, their attraction is rekindled under stormy monsoon skies. As Leela, forced by fate to relinquish Rahul, tries to find solace in teaching at her fathers observatory, a fleeting alignment of the stars is discovered that can help overcome her curse. But Rahul is called away on a war to defend his kingdom. Can he return in time or will she lose him forever to the will of the planets? 

Set in turbulent twelfth century India, against the backdrop of the savage wars waged by Muhammad of Ghor and his band of Turkis, Starcursed is a sweeping tale of science, romance and adventure that will transport its readers to another world."

Starcursed is such an adorable book. I wanted to awe all over it (without drooling). It's so cute with these two starcrossed lovers. I love the twists in this book, each one bringing the book closer and closer to its end. I didn't want to stop reading it, but alas all good things come to an end. It's simply the way of the world.

Starcursed is an spectacular book. It makes my eyes so starry-eyed. I fell in love with the book around the third chapter. It took awhile for me to adjust to the language, but overall it's amazing. I love everything about it (well, mostly). I love how it was written. 

The plot is not exactly up to my standards, but it's good enough. There's a good plot twist at the end, which is probably the best part of the book. The beginning annoyed me slightly because it wasn't going fast enough. Also, the synopsis isn't written up correctly. The point of the synopsis is to not tell what happens in the middle of the story. And yet it did. (I guess I'm a hypocrite now. Never mind, this is just one thing I'm complaining about). 

The writing didn't suck me in. It wasn't what draw me into the story. (Okay, what draw me in was the romance and Rahul and Leelavati). Anyway, I wish the writing was more compelling, although I did love the touch of humor, especially towards the end of the book. 

Next up is... Rahul, no, the pacing. Once again, I have to say this: The pacing is a little too slow. Okay, now I'm going to move one. Rahul is one hottie. (Total LOL moment). He's a total warrior, and his royal friend is totally the best. One thing to say about Rahul is that he totally picks the right people as friends and family. 

Leela, a totally idiot at certain times, has dry humor, but is true at heart. I love how complicated she can get; Rahul and Leela are truly a good match (too good, in my opinion, but this is a novel so it's not a big problem. If it is a series, then it is). 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment