Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Teardrop by Lauren Kate Review


"Never, ever cry... Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?"

Well, I can say one thing. And maybe a more than that. Anyway, I will never ever cry because of this book. It's just not cry-worthy. Totally not cry-worthy, because Teardrop isn't sad enough. I mean, I'm kind of tempted to raise an eyebrow and go "Oh, yeah. What book named Teardrop?" (Sorry, guys. Bad beginning. Then again, internet connections are slow so I'm grumbling). 

Now, on to the real review. Teardrop is a super long book, about four hundred pages. I know that it's annoying. Yes, it gets a bit boring. No, I won't tell you everything so you can write a book report off of my review. I don't do that. Although some reviewers do. (Okay, I'll stop ranting). Teardrop is quite interesting and unique. I saw one reviewer say that it's a mixture of Greek myths and some other legends and other stuff. 

Eureka has been told not to cry ever since she was eight years old by her dead mother (that's a bit harsh way of saying it, but it's the truth). She's kind of stupid (I kid you not) yet also intelligent (amazingly). I don't know why she fell in love with Ander (he's trying to kill her) and why he likes her back (he's suppose to kill her). Eureka is an annoying girl, with too many parts of her. I can't figure out whether she hates her best friend or likes her best friend. (And that's one of the many inner arguments I have on this book). 

The plot starts off with a bang. Or at least the first chapter. We see Ander's POV (a lunatic, because he was supposed to kill her). For the next twenty million chapters, we go to Eureka (isn't that also California's motto?) who is in emotional crisis. Overall, I think the book is perfectly paced even though it's four hundred pages. I finished it in a day (sorry guys. Big sign of my super overachieveing and fantastic brain). 

Lauren Kate's writing is as awesome as ever. So good you want to jump in and read. She uses flashbacks to tell Eureka's story. I don't really like the way Kate use the flashback, because I feel like it's not relevant to Eureka story (even though it is). It gets annoying when the flashbacks are in a little book called the Book of Love. Makes you want to gag, right?

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment