Monday, January 6, 2014

Rippler by Cidney Swanson Review


"Samantha Ruiz has a freak gene that makes her turn invisible, or ripple. She can’t control it, and it’s getting worse. Afraid of becoming a lab-rat, Sam keeps her ability secret, until fellow runner Will Baker sees her vanish into thin air. Will promises secrecy and help, and Sam begins to fall in love.

Together, the two discover there are worse things than being a scientific curiosity. Someone’s been killing people who possess Sam's gene. A mysterious man from France sends letters that offer hope for safety, but also reveal a sinister connection with Nazi experiments.

The more time Sam spends with Will, the less she can imagine life without him. When Sam uncovers secrets from her past, she must choose between keeping Will in her life or keeping Will safe."

I am utterly disappointed in this book. I was hoping for a good book, but instead was entirely bored throughout the story. From the beginning to the end, I speed read through all the pages, in hopes I will be done with this book for once and for all. I'm very sorry to say that this is the truth (and this will be a short review). 

Rippler has the right kind of story and conflict, but it isn't very appealing to me. Yeah, she ripple. Yeah, there's a boy. Yeah, there's a Nazi connection. But before the "Yeah" is a "Yawn." Of course, you don't see it, but it's implied and now said. 

Moving on, because I sound like a lunatic. (I am a lunatic). 

The characters are very dry. I have no idea that Sam was scarred by a horrible accident that took her mother and her best friend. Oh, maybe it may had been mention, but I didn't really care, because I hated nearly everything about the book. I have a lot of opinions, but I decide that I'm going to summarize them instead to spare us all. In short, you don't have to read my rants. 

1. Need better descriptions. I was super absorbed in the beginning (and I wanted to abandon this thing you call book at around the 30 percent mark). I feel like everything wasn't going into details or anything. It's like blah, blah, blah, blah. Then blah, blah, blah, blah. Then again, it may be my fault because I was speed reading. 

2. Need better characters. I'm not too concerned about Sam, but more so on Will. I don't see why he's charming. I don't see why he's being a... Never mind, let's not go there. Problem is, I don't like Will very much. I think the author didn't make him appealing enough, but that's the way it is.

3. Need better flashbacks. I want more emotion from the current time. 

And the good? Well, the conflict, the story, the characters (not in personality, but rather in role), and the humor. 

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment