Friday, January 10, 2014

The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life by Tara Altebrando Review


"An all-day scavenger hunt in the name of eternal small-town glory

With only a week until graduation, there's one last thing Mary and her friends must do together: participate in the Oyster Point High Official Unofficial Senior Week Scavenger Hunt. And Mary is determined to win.

Mary lost her spot at Georgetown to self-professed "it" bully Jake Barbone, and she's not about to lose again. But everyone is racing for the finish line with complicated motives, and the team's all-night adventure becomes all-night drama as shifting alliances, flared tempers, and crushing crushes take over. As the items and points pile up, Mary and her team must reinvent their strategy--and themselves--in order to win."

There's no easy abbreviation for this ridiculously long title. BNYPL doesn't look great. Neither does TBNOYPL. I'm going to simply call it "The Book" just to make it easier for you and me. 

The Book is sure hilarious. I do love how the entire book centers on one night. It reminds me of How I Met Your Mother, which is centered on one weekend. I do mean the last season, of course. HIMYM is crazy, but they can do whatever they like. Because they are HIMYM. For me, some parts of The Book were kind of dry and boring. (I read it in one hour, so that should give you some kind of a hint). I feel like most of the parts were skirting around the touchy subjects, but never touching it until the end of The Book.

The plot is a huge mess. I swear. In a crazy night, Mary and her friends are everywhere. From her deceased Aunty Eleanor's House to Home Depot to the forest. (What state do they live in? Sure isn't New York). It's so easy to get lost within the pages, that it's kind of like a scav hunt. You have to find the page so you can finish this book. 

It's annoying by how the plot avoids topics so everything will be perfect by the end. Well, not totally perfect. There's no future boyfriend for Mary, but there's a lot of potential for what can possibly happen. Truth is, if there is a sequel, I won't read it. 

The scav hunt is impossible to understand. I have no idea how Mary and her gang gets it. It's a whole bucket of mystery and intrigue. I don't even know where half of those things on the list...it's totally crazy and utterly insane.

Mary, herself, is one hot mess. I have no idea where she...Let's just say that her character does go through a good character development, but she is just rough around the edges. She's not easily likable, especially because of her odd demeanor towards her friends, family, and enemies. She's one strange lady. 

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment