Thursday, January 16, 2014

Passionaries by Tonya Hurley Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"Agnes, Cecelia, and Lucy watched as Sebastian sacrificed himself for what he believed in. Will the girls trust that their destiny as saints and martyrs and perform the miracles as Sebastian instructed? Or lose faith in themselves and each other in his absence? Time is running out for them to make a decision, and the fate of the world lies in the balance."

Passionaries has strip down to creepiness. Officially. (Please excuse me, if I misspelled the title. It's quite interesting. Passionaries. Long, but full of...passion?) 

Anyway, Passionaires is a horror story, without the horror. Eh...sort of like that. There's still horror, but not as much as ghost stories. Possession is just down right scary. I will never read a ghost story in oh...a few months. I'm not kidding. I'll be back to ghost stories in a few months. Look for a future review on my blog about a ghost story. It's bound to pop up. So Passionaries is about the rebirth of three saints, Lucy, Agnes, and Cecelia. Three girls, one a star, another a girl of sorrow, and last a musician. They are all saints. Saint Lucy, Saint Agnes, and Saint Cecelia. 

In the last book, Sebastian died because...well, he was a saint. Moving on, let's talk about the creepiness of sharing one guy with three girls. 

On the second thought, let's not. It's too weird.

Passionaires' plot is even crazier than the last book, Precious Blood. In Precious Blood, we are introduced to the mad doctor. Now we meet the rest of the bunch and witness the evil power of the bunch. They are quite powerful, from the police to music. Senators, billionaires, priests, and who knows what else. Despite all that roller coaster locomotion, I love how Passionaires takes me to places I never been. From the regular streets of Brooklyn to the heart of Sebastian. Er...Saint Sebastian, since he's a saint. 

The writing of Tonya Hurley made me desperate for more. I love her use of foreshadowing and little hints. It's an old style, but it's one nice to see. 

Lucy is...er...was the brightest star in Passionaires. I love how her character changes. From a rude, talk back girl to a loyal and true friend, never the one to burn the bridge. She may had burn out early (and so soon after Saint Sebastian's death), but she's a shining star. An inspiration. The brightest. Even the Vatican calls her "Saint Lucia." And I think you know what this means, if you read the first book. And still remember the details. 

Agnes and Cecelia isn't that big. Their characters didn't expand as much as Lucy's.

The ending...ooo! The ending is going to kill me eventually. I want to know what will happen to Agnes and Cecelia. It's a perfect mixture of good things happening and bad things happening.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment