Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken Review


"When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living."
I have very mixed feelings about The Darkest Mind. It is okay... Neither hate it or love it. Flip a coin to decide with feeling is overwhelmingly more than the other. I guess I can do that, or I can simply just speak my mind... (Insert Mulan gif here). 

Anyway, I find The Darkest Mind slightly confusing. Okay, more than that. It totally befuddled me from the very beginning, and I pretty much want to slam Ruby's head (along with Liam's head, and Clancy's head, and pretty much every freakin' character's head) in a wall, because I just don't like this book. Every word of it is like that White Noise Ruby speaks of. So annoying, ear piercing. (And I'm probably a Green, because it doesn't affect me so much). 

And I really don't like how the author holds back information about the Green, Blue, Orange, and Red system. It is so annoyingly annoying, and I really hate it. Really, really, really. It is as annoying as all of these "annoying"s and "really"s I put in this review. (Please notice that they do have a point in this review). 

But let's get into the color system. Green and Blue aren't very dangerous. Green is highly intelligent and probably has photographic memory. Blue is super strong and has telekinesis and some other powers, I assume. Orange can manipulate minds. And there is that other color, which I presume is the deadliest of them all. Red. What does Red do? I have no idea, but I find it interesting that Ruby's name is Ruby (isn't that redundant?). Ruby, of course, is the gem that gives off a color of red. Curious, I must say. 

And now, let's move onto Ruby. 

I guess I don't exactly like Ruby (underestimation of the year, I admit). She is a bit too innocent and not as clever as I would like her to be. (But she technically isn't a Green, soo...). Anyway, I thought after a person experiences so much hardship, she/he would be a bit more careful. No one sleeps very easy at night. I know I don't. After a freaking earthquake, I'm as scared as a cat in the rain. One false sign of it, and I'm running out of the door. The thing is... I remember things like that, and I will not want to experience it again. So I think Ruby would be much less trusting (which is perhaps an aspect of her character that makes me question her very existence). Plus... where is her eyes? 

I mean, where is her eyes? Or her gut? 

Anyway, I think I should end this review before I really start ranting with crass words. The Darkest Minds is not for me, and I really don't enjoy it (or writing this review). 

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment