Sunday, January 11, 2015

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins Review


"Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.

With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more."


First, Jennifer L. Armentrout and now this... I think I have to go back to all of the authors I'd liked before, because their writing is really familiar and they tell really awesome stories. I love Hex Hall and School Spirits (still waiting for that sequel, Rachel Hawkins!), and I can't wait to read the sequel to this book, too!

Okay, this is obviously located in the South. But I have this one question. Exactly which state is this located? Texas? Alabama? Obviously, I'm not paying very much attention to the smaller details (but I'm pretty sure it is Alabama, though I wish for some confirmation). 

Harper Price. She is this overachiever, but she has a very dark side. (Even before she became a Paladin). Scarred by her sister's early and untimely death, she is going after the Homecoming tiara and perfection (though that is very impossible). When she becomes a Paladin, everything goes apart, and that is where things get really entertaining. Plus, it is really cool to see her smarts get put into use. She is a very good researcher, and when David and her come together as a team, they are kicking a lot of butts. 

(Honestly, it is like Annabeth Chase and Percy Jackson coming together. In some way, because David isn't really a fighter, and Harper is). 

Now, the love interest. David Stark. He is a nerd. He is a journalist, but he is a very interesting problem... Very interesting. But if I tell you anything, it would start spoiling everything. Because this is just... awesome. (Not to mention how annoying spoilers are). 

I really like Rachel Hawkins' mixture of "snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic" and some other stuff, because this is one of the most light-hearted and wonderful book I'd ever read in a while. It is like Hex Hall all over again, yet also different. (And mentioning Hex Hall just makes me want to read that book again!). 

Overall, Rebel Belle is a great book. I can't stop putting it down. I stayed up for like hours after my usual bedtime, because this book is just great. I love the action. I love the relationship between David and Harper. And plus, I love the character arc of Harper Price. And she gets really, really funny at some points in the book... and now I'm just babbling.

Alright, time to bring this into a close.

I think we all know the rating for this book, Rebel Belle. (Also, I love the declaration at the beginning of the novel. Very touching, Rachel Hawkins). 

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment