Thursday, January 22, 2015

Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles by Alex Flinn Review


"Kendra Hilferty, the witch that curses Kyle Kingsbury in Beastly, reminisces about her immortal existence—how she discovered she was a witch and the ways she used her powers for good throughout the centuries, but unfortunately her attempts often backfired! 

With her enduring creativity and wit, Alex Flinn once again takes our favorite fairy tales and turns them on their head. Flinn wraps Kendra’s stories of Hansel and Gretel, The Princess and the Pea, and The Little Mermaid around a modern day version of Cinderella, except the “ugly” stepsister here isn’t quite who you think she is. 

With dark twists, hilarious turns, and unexpected endings, Bewitching is a contemporary read for fairy tale lovers, fantasy fans and anyone looking for more Alex Flinn!"



Let me tell you that Kendra is the greatest. Yes, she is the greatest! She is the greatest witch of all times, and I love her. She is amazing. 

I really like the combination of "The Little Mermaid," "Hansel and Gretel," "The Princess and the Pea," and "Cinderella." It may sound insane, but I find it awesome. (Then again, I find everything about fairy tale retellings by Alex Flinn awesome. Beastly is a work of art, I admit). Let me tell you which characters are which characters from fairy tales. And yes, it may sound a bit like Once Upon a Time. Sometimes. (And these are only the main characters). 

Characters : Fairy Tale Counterparts : Another Fairy Tale Counterpart : Another Counterpart
Kendra : Fairy godmother (Cinderella) : Gretel (Hansel and Gretel) : Sea Witch (The Little Mermaid)
Emma : Cinderella (Cinderella) 

So these are the two main characters. And no, I'm not going to discuss the prince. Because we don't need to talk about him. (After all, he barely appeared. He is almost like a third character. Not kidding). So let's go to Emma. Or Kendra.

No, let's go to Emma. If I talk about Kendra, I might accidently turn myself into a frog (and of course, I'm joking! Or am I?). 

Emma is a sweet character. Like what Kendra said, she is a bit trusting. She is suspicious, but she does believe in the good. She is slightly old fashion and she loves the classic (though I have no time for the classics unless it is Anne of Green Gables). And in the end, Emma does deserve her happy ending. In the end. In the end.

Kendra, on the other hand, is awesome. She doesn't need anyone. Okay, maybe she does. She does get a bit lonely sometimes, and I seriously wish for her to find someone to talk to. She is so lonely, and sometimes she makes things worse. (Like accidently take someone's voice? Or maybe something like that). 

I do have to say that the ending is slightly cheesy. I do like it, but I think it is a bit over the top. And I'm referring to the part with Emma and the prince. Not Lisette and Emma.

Overall, Bewitching is an awesome book to read. Even though the ending is a bit cheesy. Yes, yes, yes. Read it anyway.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment