Sunday, January 25, 2015

Across the Bridge of Ice by Ruth Fox Review


"In 'The City of Silver Light', Keira Leichman spent the night lost in a wild snowstorm that struck Cassidy Heights. But what really happened that night? Not even Keira can be sure. What she does know is that she's been having strange dreams since the accident, and now she's stuck with a broken ankle and the possibility of never playing soccer again. That is, until she finds Jake's telescope, and is drawn across the Bridge of Ice to Shar.

Now Keira is marooned in the City of Silver Light with Daniel, Jake’s younger brother, with no way to get home. But that is the least of their worries, for the secrets they discover in Shar are more dangerous than Kiera could ever have imagined. And the fate of both their worlds are in their hands."






I got a copy from Netgalley. 

Across the Bridge of Ice can be a standalone book. It isn't necessary to read the previous book, and it actually seems to coherently function without it. (I know this, because I'd not read the first book). It is a very short book (172 pages to be exact), and I find it a bit... Well, let's not blunder through this. More details...

First of all, I find the style to be interesting. It is a less than common style, and I do wish for some more editing of that version I'd just read (unless it is an ARC copy, which I will immediately forgive). There are some annoying things in it (such as word usage) that frustrated me, but it doesn't bother me too much. (Just some things like spelling and that sort of thing). 

Across the Bridge of Ice is YA Fantasy. There are some Dystopian parts in the book, but I find it a bit more refreshing, because Keira is a visitor from Earth. (She is basically like the readers, a traveler to a whole new world). The darker sides of Shar (the City of Silver Light) is fascinating, and it intrigues me very much. The author, Ruth Fox, does not answer every question right away, but nevertheless, I find it an entertaining puzzle.

(So she manages to get away with it. Because she manages to have a nice balance between puzzling and annoyingly frustrating).  

Keira is an okay character. Personally, I think she is a bit active (and could be a bit more active, of course), but she is most certainly different in the end. (So Keira's mother is correct). I don't have much of a problem with her...

Overall, I think Across the Bridge of Ice is great as a standalone (not sure how it would be like as a sequel), and there are some parts that could use a bit of work. (And world building does not need to be improved, but copyediting might be needed). 

So... I think the rating is...

Rating: Three out of Five

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, its possible that the frustration you had with word usage and spelling is a result of it being written for an Australia audience. Glad you enjoyed the world building though, at least that crosses cultures, even if our spelling doesn't :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh... Now that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

      Delete