Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore Review


"For star-crossed lovers Nimira and Erris, there can be no happily ever after until Erris is freed from the clockwork form in which his soul is trapped. And so they go in search of the sorcerer Ordorio Valdana, hoping he will know how to grant Erris real life again. When they learn that Valdana has mysteriously vanished, it's not long before Nimira decides to take matters into her own hands—and begins to study the sorcerer's spell books in secret. Yet even as she begins to understand the power and limitations of sorcery, it becomes clear that freeing Erris will bring danger—if not out-and-out war—as factions within the faerie world are prepared to stop at nothing to prevent him from regaining the throne."







Yes, this is another book from my to-reads list. There are so many books on there (that I actually want to read!). I'm done to 54 now? Hmm... In a few months, that number is probably going to jump back to 60 or something. It always goes up after reading the start of a series.

Anyway, let's chitchat about Magic Under Stone.

Warning: I mostly forgot about what happened in the previous books. It has been a long time since I'd read the previous one. Magic Under Glass, right? But I think it was good (because why else would it be on my to-reads list?). 

Magic Under Stone. A clockwork boyfriend. Magic. Sorcery. Kingdoms. Lots of fun.

So, I think that this is a fun book. Mostly. There aren't a lot of heavy parts, and when there are, it isn't taken very seriously for long. I kind of want to dock points at the very lightness of some things (such as murder), and I just... kind of don't like it. Okay, I more than not like it. I don't like it. At all. At all. 

The POVs are separated into two. There is a Jinn's POV and Nimira's POV. Nimira's POV is completely cool and I find the Jinn's POV to be very interesting and alluring. Those characters are fine, but I sometimes do have to question the Jinn. He is a bit... odd. Then again, he is a Jinn whose species is shroud in mystery and allure. 

(And I'm being sarcastic). 

The star-crossed lovers! Erris and Nimira. I don't feel that fire between them. I swear that their chemistry seems a bit different in this book (then again, I don't remember the previous book very much, so I can't say very much on this topic). And as Nimira said, Erria and her are growing a bit uncomfortable because of his clockwork body. 

(And I have a feeling that this review is coming to a close). 

Overall, Magic Under Stone is a book that can be get read through without remembering about its first book. Great recap in the beginning, and I find it refreshing to remember (or at least know) the details of the background. I find Magic Under Stone to be entertaining, but it isn't a must read. It is one of those books you pick up when you can't decide what is safe or dangerous. (And we know all about those dangerous books. One out of five books?). 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment