Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Between Now & Never by Laura Johnston Review


"Buh boom, buh boom. 

My heart thrusts with a force that takes me by surprise. Telling me something I don’t understand. A splitting pain, a longing to slip back under. They tell me I was in a hit-and-run, but I can’t remember what happened that night. All I know is that I woke up with pictures in my pocket, a card from one of those photo booths in the mall. And I’m in the pictures. Cody Rush. Me and…

Julianna.

Her brother was there that night, and my dad, the FBI agent, was the one who put her mom behind bars. What’s the connection? And why won’t Julianna talk to me now? Somehow, she holds the key to it all, and getting close–real close—to her for the answers I need will be no hardship at all…"

I got a copy from Netgalley. 

Do you know what I don't like about this book? Anyone? Anyone know what I don't like? Well, let me tell you about why I don't like it...

BECAUSE THE ENDING SUDDENLY CUT OFF! Seriously, that is pretty much the only problem I have with this book. The only problem. Only, only, only. Yep. The only problem. There I was... Just reading innocently. And then all of the sudden, it cuts off! I'm like... what? That is the ending? It sure doesn't feel like one. (And I'm usually more prepared for endings... And that "ending" is not an ending... It was weird and upsetting!) 

What I like about the book. Everything but the ending. 

(You can obviously tell that this is going to be a major point. Yes, I mean "this" to be the ending. Gosh, I really need to stop). 

I like Julianna. She is a good character that I can relate to. Messed up family. Family with problems (though they aren't extreme as mine. But I wouldn't know if my family is involved with a bunch of weird things like fraud and drugs). She is good in the end. Pure good, and she really cares about people, but she also hates people and she finds it all frustrating. So wrapped up in her pain and anger and pretty much, a lot of angst. Just like a regular teen. Almost. 

(Because of the drugs. And the Mom). 

Cody is a very interesting guy. I like him too. I like both of them. (Heck yeah, I would love this book if it weren't for the ending! But it is only "like" because of it!). He should be recruited into the FBI (even though he is underage). If this book was espionage, I think Cody would thrive from it. It is all awesome. 

(But he isn't as relatable to me as Julianna. She is much more similar to me, in my opinion. A bit angry and soft and all in between. I'm perhaps nothing like Cody, but I like him. I like him. And I'm glad he has nothing to do with the ending). 

The conflict creates good steam. A lot of drama. Amnesia... It is a bit of a far-fetched idea, because I'm not sure if that is what would happen when one has a concussion (though victims do lose their memories for a short period of time). I might have to check with a doc (or the Internet) to verify that fact. 

But overall, Between Now & Never is good. It would be AWESOME AND LEGENDARY, if IT WEREN'T FOR THE DARN ENDING! 

Rating: Four out of Five (Please put in a better ending, please!) 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! So many kind words, and I appreciate you posting to Goodreads as well. Your review made me smile, and I sometimes wish I could explain to readers that BETWEEN NOW AND NEVER was meant to be two books. However, because of life's circumstances at the time I cannot commit to a second novel. Perhaps sometime soon... I'm so glad Julianna was relatable and that you enjoyed their story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing this book! (And I won't mention the ending!)

      Delete