Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Review


"The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?"





I obviously have a masochistic streak. Otherwise, I wouldn't be reviewing this. Or reading it in the first place. Especially before the book is even out. I mean, I was innocently looking through my best friend's (and fellow reader's) book shelf when I see this interesting and bloody cover. Oh, look. High Fantasy. Should be a great book to read.

When I saw the publication date on Goodreads, I want to bang my own head. The sequel's release date! The next book's release date! Why did I even read this book? WHY? WHY? I can't even fathom my own stupidity and foolishness. Because this book is so good (even though it is an ARC), and I can't even believe... 

I want to cry myself to sleep. I just want to die. Or maybe build myself a time traveling machine to get a damn copy of the sequel. And the next, and the next. VICTORIA AVEYARD, ARE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF? I mean... I'm like... on the verge of tears when I saw that publication date for the sequel. And this book isn't even out yet!!!

Okay, I will have to start on this book. But let's talk about the love square/triangle. Three boys. Two princes, and one pretty much normal guy. Now, there will be as little spoilers as possible, because everyone who hasn't read this book is going to kill me when they know about a lot of details of this book. So... spoilers. Between the parentheses, for your and my safety. (Friend/Normal boy, K, is probably not a love interest, and I will seriously hunt Aveyard down if she turns him into a love interest. So there is that. But C, the firstborn prince, is not exactly a real keeper. There are some moments that make him... soft and beautiful. But in the next, he is all edges and toughness. Sort of like Duval in Grave Mercy, though he isn't as wise as Duval. And then, there is the final one. M. The other possible love interest, who absolutely TORN OUT MY HEART AND STOMPED ON IT! THEN HE LIT UP WHAT IS LEFT OF IT!). 

There. I'm finished. With the love triangle/square. 

Now, I will go to Mare. Mare is a bit foolish, and she is a young chick in the world of foxes. (And then there are the wolves, but let's not get into that). She is a weapon to be used, and she is the Pawn. Contrary to what the title says, she is never in control of her fate, and she is always being used. Whether by subtle forces. Whether by the rebellion. 

Overall, Red Queen is a great book. I'm so freaking excited for the next, and I find the writing to be absolutely captivating. I just... want to cry now. Wake me up when 2016 comes. Because this is going to be the longest wait ever. 

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment