Monday, July 14, 2014

The Iron Queen by Kaitlin Bevis Review


"Life is hell for Persephone. Zeus will stop at nothing to gain access to the living realm and the Underworld, and as the only living god with a right to both, Persephone’s in trouble. Captured and tortured beyond the limits of her resolve, Persephone must find the power to stand against Zeus. But will she be strong enough? 

Meanwhile, Hades contemplates desperate measures to rescue his queen. Persephone never thought of herself as dangerous, but there’s a reason gods never marry for love. A being with the power to destroy all of creation shouldn’t place more value in one individual than the rest of the planet. But Hades...Hades would break the world for her.

To save the world and stop both Hades and Zeus, Persephone must make a difficult choice. One that may cost her everything."

The Iron Queen is the final installment of the trilogy determined to depict the romance between Hades and Persephone. It isn't The Goddess Test, and for that, I'm thankful. But as I said before, it is not anything like Meg Cabot's Abandon. Still, it is pretty good for a retelling. And everyone knows, I love a good fairy tale, right?

Hades is a bit more annoying than usual (and he is certainly not Romeo). Still, he is an angsty teenager. Hello? He is like hundreds, thousands years old. I don't a guy that old should be acting like typical teenagers. Unless he is a child god like Persephone, which he isn't because he is already powerful and crazy. Well, he isn't crazy, but I think he should be crazy. I always imagine Hades as crazy and eccentric and blue. Thank you, Disney. 

Persephone, on the other hand, is no longer just the goddess of flowers. Oh, snap. That is a spoiler already. Never mind, I won't say what other territories she possess. I shouldn't be talking about it unless I have a spoiler blog. Let just say that she is very good at undergoing torture under the wrong stick. Zeus tries to beat her up and force her to swear, but she is too good. She makes oath after oath to make sure she won't betray those she loves. I say it is very wise of her to make some security protection in case things go south.

The Iron Queen is a wrong title for a somewhat good book. Some of the gods are good. Others are bad. Take Aphrodite as an example. She is a terrible goddess. Zeus, on the other hand, is very good. And very disgusting. I'm not sure what to make of Hera. She seems to be fairly weak. And anti... Well, I'm not going there.

Told from many POVs, the Iron Queen is an okay last installment to an okay series. I don't like how the story is told in the modern times. I prefer it if it is long, long, long ago. Then things will make more sense than the story being told in the modern times. Anyway, I better stop before I start to repeat myself.

Overall, I think this book and its series is okay. It isn't too bad. It isn't anything outstanding. It is bearable unlike the Goddess Test where I wanted to throw up in some moments. It isn't anything like Abandon, where I have to yet again praise Meg Cabot's genius brain. Still, the overall story is that this book is okay and no one will blame you if you bother to read it. There is no shame in reading books. Got me?

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment