Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sweet Shadows by Tera Lynn Childs Review


"The action-packed second book of Tera Lynn Childs's Greek mythology–based Sweet Venom trilogy is perfect for teen fans of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series.

Three teenage descendants of Medusa must figure out where their fate will take them. The warring factions among the gods of Olympus are coming for them, the creatures of the abyss are pushing into San Francisco, and the boys in their lives are hiding dangerous secrets.

Gretchen has fought the monsters the longest, but teaching the girls the ropes is hard. Can she rely on Grace and Greer, or even trust herself to keep them safe? Greer has pressing social commitments and little time to train her newfound powers. But her second sight won't leave her alone. Grace is worried about her brother, Thane, who has disappeared. His secrets might have to do with the heritage the triplets share.

How can the girls embrace the shadows of their legacy?"

Sweet Shadows is the second book of this trilogy. It comes after Sweet Venom and follows the paths of Grace, Greer, and Gretchen. I would call them the G-Girls, if I'm talking about all triplets. For individual ones, I'll simply use their first names (never last). And I refuse to let myself use names for two girls.

Sweet Shadows mostly focus on Greer and Gretchen. Gretchen, especially. She has her boy problems, tons of boy problems named Nick. Apparently, he is someone related to a god of justice or something like that and well... It is complicated. (Why are demi-gods always complicated?). Too complicated, I might add. Greer, well... That is a long story for most people, not including me. Needless to say, she got cheated on and was the Queen of Sass for the year. I love her statements and her words. Hold your head high and never let them see you cry! (Sounds like Let it Go, right? I'll stop now). Grace is still with Milo, who isn't anything special. At least, I don't think he is. (And I hope he isn't. For once, can we have a normal guy?).

Out of all the girls, it is probably Gretchen and Greer who changed the most. Gretchen's prejudices are starting to unravel while Greer is getting used to chaos. Not everything has appointments and organization when it comes to monsters and Greek Mythology. Grace, on the other hand, remains the same. Mostly. She seems to take this world of monsters pretty well actually. She is just like her other sister, Gretchen.

The plot of Sweet Shadows moved so much yet also so little. It is like talking big about little details. Okay, that probably doesn't make sense, so I'll try another explanation. The plot moved slowly yet also quickly. It seemed slow after you read it. But while you were reading Sweet Shadows, the plot went by fast. It is so annoying.

Nick is a jerk. Don't date him, Gretchen. A man who lies will never change. (And the girl who changes him is legendary). I learned that from my mother. And my thoughts are final. Don't date him.

The ending of Sweet Shadows leave off with a cliffhanger. It isn't a The Mark of Athena cliffhanger, but it is a bit more subtle. I can tell you that I can't wait to get my paws on the next book, Sweet Legacy. Everything has to be sweet, eh?

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment