Friday, July 25, 2014

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman Review


"In her New York Times bestselling and Morris Award-winning debut, Rachel Hartman introduces mathematical dragons in an alternative-medieval world to fantasy and science-fiction readers of all ages. Eragon-author Christopher Paolini calls them, "Some of the most interesting dragons I've read in fantasy."

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life."

Seraphina mixes dragons and humans together. Now, I read a few dragon books/shapeshifter books before, but I haven't read one (at least not one I remember) that mixes dragons, medieval times, and humans. And shapeshifters. Anyway, I think Seraphina is a good book, but it is a bit dry in the beginning. Or at least the second chapter and third was a bit dry.

I first began Seraphina on a airplane (Boeing 787 for those of you who are airplane nerds like me). They had one of those little touch screens that can access books from a certain book publishing company. And free samples! Anyway, I read the first chapter and thought that Seraphina had a really strong and potential start. So I spent a few weeks trying to find it until I found a copy. Then I read it.

The beginning is a bit sour. Like sour dough. I guess. Anyway, it gets better towards the ending. And that is when the plot finally picks up.

Oh, yes. The plot is a bit slow for my taste. I remember leaving off at Chapter Twelve or something like that, because nothing was really happening. Then I finally go back to the book after finishing some other books. (Yeah, I'm So Sure is one of them). And as I mentioned before, the plot thankfully picks up in the end. However, by the the ending of the book, I'm left confused. There are so many questions to be answered! And I totally hate that! But am I going to read the sequel? Fifty-fifty. There is no guarantee. 

Seraphina, the character, is a smart though very nosy girl. She always snoops into other people's business including Prince Lucian Kiggs, who may or may not be engaged with her best friend, Princess Gliss. Well, Gliss isn't her full name, but that is what I keep on calling her. Anyway, I hope they aren't engaged. I will tell you that I'm not going to reread Seraphina (the book) just to figure out if that fact is correct or incorrect. I'm done with Seraphina (talking about the book). Officially.

Overall, I think Seraphina is a good book if it is your piece of cake. For me, it was a bit slow and annoying. The exposition went on forever, or at least that is what it seems to me. Anyway, I won't recommend it.

Rating: Three out of Five (I liked the ending)

No comments:

Post a Comment