Thursday, July 24, 2014

I'm So Sure by Jenny B. Jones Review


""Think you're having a rough week? Bella's stepdad, a semi-pro wrestler, just signed the entire family up for a reality TV show. Bella's first thought: Kill. Me. Now."


Living in Truman, Oklahoma wasn't 100% miserable for Bella. Sure, she misses Manhattan, couture clothes, and her dad. But she was making new friends at Truman High and almost enjoying her work at the school newspaper. Then the whole stepdad-wrestler-reality-show issue hit and her life is now being splashed across weekly tabloids and broadcast news.As if having a camera crew following her around isn't bad enough, Bella soon discovers a conspiracy against the Truman High prom queen candidates. And the closer she gets to the answer, the more danger she's in. 
As her relationship with Luke teeters between friendship and romance, Bella's ex-boyfriend Hunter reappears and vies for Bella's attention. Denying allegations of a love triangle, working to solve the prom queen mystery, and trying to keep her cool on national television finally motivate Bella to start talking--and listening--to God more. 
But what comes next has Bella once again screaming: "I'M. SO. SURE.""

I'm So Sure is an amusing story containing the many wild adventures of Bella Kirkwood. She is the classic Lois Lane. The difference? She also is Jimmy Olsen, but that is not the point here. She can take pictures instead of having another red-haired boy be a photographer. That is indeed one step up from being Lois Lane. However, she may or may not be breaking laws or as Lois Lane puts it, "Committing a felony." And yes, I am a fan of Superman: The Animated Series. I watched that when I was a kid. And I did swoon over Bruce Wayne like what Lois Lane did in World's Finest Part I, II, and III. Big fangirl.

Her Superman? Well, that would be Clark Kent, hiding behind glasses and the whole disguise that shouldn't fool a single person. I don't know how anyone doesn't see the big blue boy behind those round pairs. Anyway, Luke is Clark Kent. And yes, he does wear glasses, which makes this story a bit more cheesy, especially since Bella mentioned Clark Kent. Luke does appear as Superman whenever Bella is in trouble. Though not quite literally. He is perhaps invincible as him, because he still managed to protect Bella in times of her greatest need. It is totally adorable. Except for that little problem with bipolar personality. Oh! And his girlfriend, who goes to Harvard and is one year older than him, but that isn't really the issue here. Nah, it is just the girlfriend who has more confidence and seemingly more smarts than Bella.

Still, they are both wonderful characters. Their chemistry together makes me always wonder if they are ever going to get together and make rabbits. 

I'm So Sure is a Christian novel. That means that there are a few characters who are going to pray, but that doesn't bother me very much. Honestly, it makes Bella very adorable. I remember those kids in Sunday School. "Thank you, God, for giving me a mouth. I will take very good care of it. Thank you, Father, for giving me food." It is very adorable, though not adorable as those nine-year olds. I wished she prayed for Luke to be manly.

Overall, I think I'm So Sure is a wonderful, delightful read, especially when you need to relax a little bit. The plot is exciting, and you will be trying to figure out the hitman who is bent to ruin all of the candidates for Prom Queen.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment