Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Destined by Jessie Harrell Review


"When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear.

As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined."

What is this book? Destined is a retelling of Cupid and Psyche (Love and Psyche, Eros and Psyche, or the God-Who-Revealed-Nico-Is-Gay-In-The-Percy-Jackson-series and Psyche). And this time, it explains things from both Psyche and Eros' point of view. I admit it is indeed a bit interesting. The myth itself mostly stars Psyche and her perspective. Eros' POV is rarely seen, if at all.

Destined is a bit unforgettable in a bad way. I didn't really like it, but the romantic parts of Destined isn't too bad. In fact, it is bearable, but that isn't the worst part of the book. The worst part is the dialect and the setting. The dialect is modern while the setting is set in the past. It took me awhile to figure that this story isn't modern. It is a long time ago. All that modern dialect only annoys me. After all, I'm pretty sure Greeks don't use those weird words when they talk about love or other kinds of stuff. I would give a few examples, but I can't seem to remember any good ones. And the setting isn't obvious either. I thought it was in modern day before I realized it was far, far, far into the past. My mistake.

Aphrodite is an interesting character. I enjoy her use of reverse psychology on those kids. Kids meaning Psyche and Eros. She seems as clever as Athena, though only in love. At least, Aphrodite learns from her mistakes. Psyche, on the other hand, doesn't learn from other people's mistakes very well. I mean, Helen's mistakes. Yes! Helen of Troy, the lady who caused a crazy war between everyone. I can't remember the details anymore.

Psyche finds too many loopholes in wording. Unfortunately, she seems to be very stubborn and a bit annoying thanks to her stunning ability to always disobey people. The only person she seems to obey is 1) Herself, and 2) the Plot. Oh, drat! The plot isn't a person. I forgot about that. However, I can change plot into author, Jessie Harrell. 

Eros seems to be a jerk. I totally agree with Psyche. He is a bit too whiny and annoying. Even his POV is a bit annoying. He seems to be this kid who can't get what he wants. Plus, his logic is a bit annoying though understandable. He knows Psyche probably hates him, so he goes invisible. Only problem? Wouldn't Psyche recognize his voice? Drat! I should mention that Psyche is a bit dumb for a girl like her. She may be able to find loopholes, but she can't see what is in front of her very nose.

Overall, Destined is a book that is awful. Stay far, far, far away.

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment