Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger Review


"A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses. 

Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of Runway magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts Prada! Armani! Versace! at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child. 

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA gives a rich and hilarious new meaning to complaints about “The Boss from Hell.” Narrated in Andrea’s smart, refreshingly disarming voice, it traces a deep, dark, devilish view of life at the top only hinted at in gossip columns and over Cosmopolitans at the trendiest cocktail parties. From sending the latest, not-yet-in-stores Harry Potter to Miranda’s children in Paris by private jet, to locating an unnamed antique store where Miranda had at some point admired a vintage dresser, to serving lattes to Miranda at precisely the piping hot temperature she prefers, Andrea is sorely tested each and every day—and often late into the night with orders barked over the phone. She puts up with it all by keeping her eyes on the prize: a recommendation from Miranda that will get Andrea a top job at any magazine of her choosing. As things escalate from the merely unacceptable to the downright outrageous, however, Andrea begins to realize that the job a million girls would die for may just kill her. And even if she survives, she has to decide whether or not the job is worth the price of her soul."

I never had a horrible boss like Miranda Priestly, but I was an assistant. I hated whenever the boss never gave me enough descriptions and orders to go on. Asking questions for more details made me feel like an utter fool who can't remember a single thing. I hated failing, and darn, it was stressful at times but not 24/7. Not like what Andrea Sachs has to deal with. Not that extreme. 

I'm drawn to this book, mostly because of the movie. Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt are amazing in the movie version of this novel. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the entire movie, because I was getting bored towards the middle. The outfits are to-die-for and breathtaking. I absolutely love the scenes, and when I had the opportunity to read The Devil Wears Prada, I took it. I took it. 

So my opinions about the book...

Now that is a lot of f-bombs! Andrea Sachs drops many of them, but I don't mind a filthy mouth. She has some excellent precision, because she throws, not only one, but two at... Okay, now that is a spoiler alert. But I love her f-bombs. She is hilarious at times, and she is easy to empathize with. I can't help but feel terrible for her, and even worse are her so-called "friends." I honestly wish her to become a career woman and have the job she wants. She could suffer Miranda's wrath for a few more months. But her heart is torn between her home (family, friends, her heart) and her job (which could lead to her to a job she really wants). 

Miranda Priestly is a highly engaging character despite her cool manner and sophistication. She is a bit of a sadist, and she isn't anything like Streep's Miranda Priestly who is a much milder (and an actual human being). Maybe I can't blame Andy for what happens in the end. There is so much someone could put up with, of course, before dumping two f-bombs and then quitting the job. I find myself wishing I could strangle Miranda, but alas, there is little I can do. (And Streep makes Miranda nicer.) 

Some other random thoughts: The plot goes by well enough that I hardly notice any stalls. I immensely enjoy reading this book. There is a lot of differences between the movie and the book, and I actually prefer the book to the movie. Christian is weird, and he appears at here and there. Even after reading this book, I don't know what his role is other than being that weird guy who keeps following Andy around. The ending is rather good, and I'm happy for Andy (though she could have skipped years of work if she stayed with Miranda, but that isn't the point of the story). 

Overall, The Devil Wears Prada is highly entertaining and wonderfully descriptive. The characters are well-developed, but I wish for a different ending. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment