Sunday, June 21, 2015

Hollywood Witch Hunter by Valerie Tejeda Review


"From the moment she first learned the truth about witches…she knew she was born to fight them.

Now, at sixteen, Iris is the lone girl on the Witch Hunters Special Ops Team.

But when Iris meets a boy named Arlo, he might just be the key to preventing an evil uprising in Southern California.

Together they're ready to protect the human race at all costs. Because that's what witch hunters do.

Welcome to Hollywood"





NetGalley. Thanks for the copy.

I'm not a fan of Hollywood Witch Hunter. It should had been amazing, it should had been stunning, it should had been suspenseful, and it probably should had been hilarious from the number of rather silly but also serious occasions and pieces of dialogue. Especially, because it is taking place in the modern ages. Or maybe because it is set in Hollywood, the land of Botox and fake and fake, which is probably a sign of great humor. But no.

It has dry humor. I'm not a fan of dry humor, and the moments that should had been amusing? Well, they aren't amusing. Mostly, I'm fairly bored and I try to like the book. Believe me, I try very hard to like Hollywood Witch Hunter. Unfortunately, I don't. There are some good parts, but the book isn't my type.

First of all, it is told from third person. Third person isn't a favorite of mine (but I usually tolerate it). This time, Iris's POV and voice ticks me off. Iris, as a character, is a good huntress. She is bright, and she is intelligent. She knows something is off from the beginning, and when she finds out, she sticks by her story, believing her own eyes more than other people's words. That very tendency saves her life many times, and she is a rather strong girl.

Despite said Iris's strength and character, the little love triangle in this book is annoying me. There are two contenders for Iris's heart. One is Arlo, who is an One Direction wannabe and probably should had gone to Britain. The other is a Scot, who also has abilities in magic and shares a very, very chemical and explosive relationship with Iris. They are different in many ways, and they are perhaps one of the brighter spots in this book.

The plot starts off with Iris meeting a witch and killing one. Iris starts off on hard floor with a smooth edge, and the story comes off rather dry though. The writing style, at best, is at fault, and the way the story is written... It isn't favorable to me. Perhaps other readers would like it, but I'm not the one who is the fan of this book. 

Overall, Hollywood Witch Hunter is not my cup of tea. Sure, there are some great and strong and amazing characters with a fantastic villain, but... there is also a weird, weird amount of leather and spy-ish dialogue (Ever heard of covert, Iris?). Not my type of book.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment