Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"From the acclaimed author of Brooklyn, Burning comes Guy in Real Life, an achingly real and profoundly moving love story in the vein of Rainbow Rowell and John Green, about two Minnesota teens whose lives become intertwined through school, role-playing games, and a chance two-a.m. bike accident.

It is Labor Day weekend in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and boy and girl collide on a dark street at two thirty in the morning: Lesh, who wears black, listens to metal, and plays MMOs; Svetlana, who embroiders her skirts, listens to Björk and Berlioz, and dungeon masters her own RPG. They should pick themselves up, continue on their way, and never talk to each other again.

But they don't.

This is a story of two people who do not belong in each other's lives, who find each other at a time when they desperately need someone who doesn't belong in their lives. A story of those moments when we act like people we aren't in order to figure out who we are. A story of the roles we all play-at school, at home, with our friends, and without our friends-and the one person who might show us what lies underneath it all."

Guy In Real Life is one confusing book. It's good, I'll admit that, but it's a bit confusing. For one thing, I have no idea what exactly is the genre of this book. Perhaps it's LGBT? Hmm...I think that's the correct genre, although the genre can be open to debate and a lot of discussion. (BTW, I'm going to say this right away. This is going to be a short review. I have tons of stuff to do, so this is going to really fast). 

Book. I think the cover is awesome. Those two are adorable on the front cover. On the back of my copy is a bunch of sales information. In case you haven't notice already, I have the arc copy, so some of this might be off on the actual book. Still, I'll fire off this review anyway. (It's the only break I have from my work).

The story is certainly interesting. It totally makes me want to play MMOs. I simply love how the author describes them. The addiction you get from it is so powerful you can feel it from the author's words. Or the author has a great way of telling this story. Eh...I can't really say, but I do want to say it's both. That brings me to the author's writing/way of telling the story. He switches between two POVs (Svetlana and that other guy). The way he skirts around them is amazing. I could also believe he's a pro (well, he's a writer, right?). Anyway, I just want to say that the writing and book and story is smooth as a lake.

The scary possibilities of internet is played in this book. People, one warning: Never give out your locations and it's better to use TOR unless you are one of those people who like fast internet. Also, always know that there are creepy people out there.

The sexuatlity. LGBT/possible crossdresser. Okay, I'm done here. Nothing else to say other than how well it was portrayed. Telling kids and teens that it's okay to be open despite the pressing world is good. However, there might be some parents...Okay, I'll stop now.

Moving on.  Svetlana seems to be a model from the times I read the male's POV. I can't remember his name other than the fact that it's unusual. It starts with an L. I can't name anything after that. Oh, well. Anyway, Svetlana doesn't have a major character change. She seems to be the stable character while the boy is around his Coming of Age.

Lesh. That's his name. It's right in the synopsis and I couldn't find it. (How stupid of me). Anyway, he's the person who changed the most. Without giving it away, I would say that he's out in the open and away from the shadows. Enough of a hint?

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment