Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ruins by Dan Wells Review


"Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final installment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand.

There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in their possession a weapon that could destroy the other, and Kira Walker has precious little time to prevent that from happening. She has one chance to save both species and the world with them, but it will only come at great personal cost."

Whoo! Whoo! Check out that pretty, pretty cover. I really liked all those waves and that hair! Gosh, it's so pretty. Yeah, I'm crazy. But still! I wish my hair looks as good as that. Okay, I'll stop talking about hair. It's getting a bit old.

Ruins is the last installment of the Partial series. I'm pretty sure it was called the Partial Sequence, right? Oh, well. It might be or might not. I guess I'm done for now. I'll stop talking about the actual name of the series. Partial series vs. Partial Sequence. Whatever. I think Partial Sequence is still awesome.

Ruins is told from many POVs. I think it's around five or six. Somewhere around there. I immediately suggest that you read the previous books unless you have an excellent memory. There was so much going on in the previous books. Like everything is fast-paced with crazy plot scenes too much. Still, I think Ruins, even after all that crazy long journey, is pretty good. I liked it enough, especially the Armin story arc. I always wanted to know the true history behind Kira's father. He's always the mystery.

I always liked the writing of Dan Wells. He kept it (mostly) organized. I'm pretty sure I saw a few typos, but I think it's great. I was kept entertained for the entire two hours of reading this long book and ending.

Best part: The last battle. That's all I should say. Otherwise, there will be too many spoilers revealed to those who haven't read the book yet.

The weakest part of the book is probably Heron's story. I didn't really liked her character change/last action made. It didn't seem like her. I mean, seriously? A character change after witnessing something big? It seemed a bit sloppy to me. I'll tell you what happened. She died. Yep, she died to save everyone else. Words didn't change Heron, yet a look at a wolf and her cubs changed everything for her. Hmm...I don't really like that part. I'm pretty sure Heron would kill the wolf and eat it instead of changing her views on the world after watching them from afar. Seems suspicious. I do see that her sacrifice is needed, but I don't really get why she wanted to do that. Heron was always saved herself. She does not die for other people. She is programmed to be like that.

Yes, it's a Happily Ever After story. It has that ending. Is that a spoiler alert? Hmm...I don't know. Actually, yes it is. 

Overall, I think this series is great. The story is wonderful (other than some small snags). Everything seemed to be good. I think the fall of snow is a nice touch.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment