Thursday, April 24, 2014

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce Review


""From now on I'm Alan of Trebond, the younger twin. I'll be a knight."
And so young Alanna of Trebond begins the journey to knighthood. Though a girl, Alanna has always craved the adventure and daring allowed only for boys; her twin brother, Thom, yearns to learn the art of magic. So one day they decide to switch places: Disguised as a girl, Thom heads for the convent to learn magic; Alanna, pretending to be a boy, is on her way to the castle of King Roald to begin her training as a page.
But the road to knighthood is not an easy one. As Alanna masters the skills necessary for battle, she must also learn to control her heart and to discern her enemies from her allies.
Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's first adventure begins -- one that will lead to the fulfillment of her dreams and the magical destiny that will make her a legend in her land.
Alanna's journey continues..."

This is one of those books where you ask yourself: Why haven't you read this book earlier? Yeah, Tamora Pierce is one of those authors you don't want to miss out on. Although her books are sort of old, they are a masterpiece. It's old, but it's good. Quality over age. You always have to look for quality words instead of crappy new shiny books. Sometimes looking back in time isn't that bad. There are some books people read every day that are over thousands of years old, right? (Hello? Don't forget about the Quran and the Bible). 

Alanna: The First Adventure is certainly a mouthful title. Nevertheless, I will shorten it. Or keep tying it. It certainly wastes words and help me reach my word count limit for this review. Eh...I don't really care. I'll forget about the first name. Alanna is already one word with a ton of characters (letters). Yeah, I'll stop wasting time.

Anyway, The First Adventure is pretty awesome. I really liked the fighting scenes and Alanna's cute meetings with Prince Jonathan. I totally wished they would have something much more. It's such a shame. Those two should had kissed by the end of the book (no, they don't kiss by the end sadly). 

Best moment: Alanna's crazy healing power against Prince Jonathan's illness. She is really that amazing. It's such a shame that such talent has to go to waste. I really liked Alanna, from the beginning of The First Adventure to the end of The First Adventure.

The book is rather short. Actually, I got that wrong. The book is rather fast-paced. Everything, everything went by fast, too fast to be accurate. By the time I was finish with this book, I wanted more and more and more. It is too good. Oh, it's as good as chocolate and strawberry and ice cream! Ah, I'm hungry now.

It's great to see Alanna's character in action. I see her fears. I feel her love. I dislike the people she hates. I have to admit that Pierce always does a good job, even my good friends agree. She changes throughout the book. Her feelings towards magic changes. She likes Jonathan in a different manner (let's hope for romance). Best of all? Alanna kicks butts over and over again. This girl is as bad as Katniss Everdeen. 

Let's hope for Prince Jonathan to be something more. They have a great sort of chemistry together. Of course, we can always hope. But will it actually happen? That's the endless question.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment