Friday, April 11, 2014

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb Review

I won a copy from Goodreads First Reads.


"Young Fitz is the bastard son of the noble Prince Chivalry, raised in the shadow of the royal court by his father's gruff stableman. He is treated like an outcast by all the royalty except the devious King Shrewd, who has him sectetly tutored in the arts of the assassin. For in Fitz's blood runs the magic Skill--and the darker knowledge of a child raised with the stable hounds and rejected by his family. As barbarous raiders ravage the coasts, Fitz is growing to manhood. Soon he will face his first dangerous, soul-shattering mission. And though some regard him as a threat to the throne, he may just be the key to the survival of the kingdom."

Assassin's Apprentice is awesome. Even though it's sort of old, it's still awesome. I love how Fitz does his thing (assassin business) and I love how the author tells the book. I really enjoyed reading this book even though it's longer than To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm not joking. It feels way longer than that book. Like longer by small font and a hundred pages. Yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate description of it.

The reason I mention To Kill a Mockingbird is because it's similar to that book. Assassin's Apprentice begins with Fitz not truly understanding the world. He is similar to the children from To Kill a Mockingbird. His innocence is very endearing yet also the weakest part of his character until he grows older. That's when he becomes so scary. Like really scary. Like when Agent Grant Ward shot Victoria Hand scary (still thinking about Tuesday's episode). 

I really loved Robin Hobb's writing. She has a way of making this world seem so real despite the rather silly names of the kingdoms and princes. You notice that too? Chivalry, Regal, Shrewd (King, but still). They all have horrible names. That's not a big deal. You will get use to it. It's sort of strange. Anyway, how this book was written is making me all excited for the next book even though it's already out. If I have enough time, I will attempt to read the second book. Hopefully, it's not twice as long as this book.

This 'Skill' is sort of like magic, I believe. Anyway, there's no wand waving or anything like that. It's just mind control and other things. It's not too pleasant, but it certainly keeps me interested and invested in this book/trilogy.

The ending is simply the best. I loved every part of it. I was like, oh, Fitz, you are good. I simply fell in love with Fitz. He's brilliant, of course. He's intelligent and is willing to do everything for his kingdom. I love his character, no matter how deeply flawed or drunk it gets. The most important thing is that he tries.

The overall lesson of the entire book? Nothing is what it seems to be. And the devil is everywhere. (Okay, the second one is a sort of joke. I'm kind of joking yet I'm not). 

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment