Friday, April 25, 2014

In the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce Review


""I don't want to fall in love. I just want to be a warrior maiden."

Still disguised as a boy, Alanna becomes a squire to none other than the prince of the realm. Prince Jonathan is not only Alanna's liege lord, he is also her best friend -- and one of the few who knows the secret of her true identity. But when a mysterious sorcerer threatens the prince's life, it will take all of Alanna's skill, strength, and magical power to protect him -- even at the risk of revealing who she really is...

Filled with swords and sorcery, adventure and intrigue, good and evil, Alanna's second adventure continues the saga of a girl who dares to follow her dreams -- and the magical destiny that awaits her."

Ooo! This is as good as the previous book, Alanna: The First Adventure. Once again, I'm questioning where in the world I was when I could had been reading a good book like In the Hand of the Goddess. I always have a liking for tough heroines, even ones who don't believe in love like Alanna. It's such a shame. I always liked it when heroines put a little more fight into things they don't believe in. She jumped the bones. (That's all I'm going to hint. All you need is the name of the owner's bones and you'll know the spoiler). 

Anyway, In the Hand of the Goddess is even better than the previous book. I wasn't that happy with Alanna: The First Adventure as this one. Gosh! This series gets better and better as time goes on. I think Tamora Pierce was on fire at this time. She's one of those authors where you question your whereabouts when the book was published. (Me? I think it wasn't even born yet. This book was published in what? The eighties? The seventies? It's old). 

It's a really short story. Okay, it's two hundred and fifty pages long. It's short for a reader like me. I can read five hundred pages and not even blink an eye (exaggeration, of course). Still, it's pretty short. Like I said before (in a different review), these plots go by fast. All the words perfectly flow together and make this masterpiece.

Alanna's character grows even more. She starts accepting sorcery and even uses it for her goddess. Even better? She gets a new pet. I love her cat (is that a bad sign or something? Will I become a future forty year old single with thirty cats? Sorry. Overactive thinking). And the love! Oh, I really like her with Prince Jonathan. I think those two are practically made to be. They are perfect together. That thing with George, though! Grr...it makes me angry. Make sure my copy of this book is still okay after I reread this book. (Oh, it's a library book).

Prince Jonathan is not a jerk. Well, maybe a little. But I think George is more like the jerk. He's way too cocky for my liking. I don't like him at all. The only reason I see for friendship with this rogue is the connection to the criminal world. That's the only reason. Still, I think I'm one for Prince Jonathan and Alanna. They are to be a couple. Love triangles are terrible.

Anyhow, I can't wait for the next book. I'm going to go and check it out. See ya, guys!

Rating: Four out of Five (boo for George!)

No comments:

Post a Comment