Friday, April 4, 2014

If I Should Die by Amy Plum Review


"I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?"

It's an awesome ending to this trilogy. If I Should Die is a much better ending (points knocked off for little sentimental thoughts and feelings when a character died) than Twilight (yes, I'm still comparing to Twilight; it's so fun doing this). If I Should Die is the last and final book of this trilogy (as I mentioned before, so now I'm just repeating myself). Moving on, I should talk about the good and bad of If I Should Die.

The Good: (Oh, look. I'm breaking this down to two categories). 

Kate is a high point in this book. She learns how to sacrifice (even though it's for Vincent, the love interest). She learns about Jules' love for her. Thankfully, she doesn't feel the same way, so there won't be a fourth book. However, she is sort of hallucinating Vincent's ghost. On the good side, it's real and she doesn't have to be in life or death situations to see him. On that bad side, there's no bad things. It's a better love story than Twilight.

The plot (oh wait, there's even a plot in If I Should Die) is legendary. We jump cities, from Paris to New York to Paris again. Lots of things happen, but most of the pushing only comes from that medicine guy (sorry, don't know what else to name him. Guy of knowledge doesn't sound good either), Kate, and Vincent. Still, at least it has a plot. That's a plus.

Deaths (And I'm even putting this in the "Good" section). At the end of any action or fantasy series, there's always a good amount of deaths. The more emotion it invokes, the better. Charles doesn't die, so we don't care. Just kidding. We do care who dies or lives. One important member of Vincent's kindred is going to die. I'm not going to explain who, but someone is going to die. Then there are a few friends of Vincent who are also going to die. BTW, Vincent doesn't count. Neither does Kate. Vincent died in the last novel. Kate is reborn. I should clarify myself. I mean, permanently dead. Sorry, readers, there's a bit of a confusion there.

Amy Plum's writing and storytelling is addicting. I want to read more of her books! Please, more Vincent and Kate would be good. I don't care if you put one more inside joke about vampires, just a little more of those two lovebirds!

The Bad:

Honestly, I can't really remember the bads of this book. Actually, I think I did a very bad job of categorizing the bads and the goods. Next time, I won't do that.

Anyway, I think this is an amazing trilogy. Definitely worth rereading.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment