Monday, April 14, 2014

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead Review


"Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning..."

Excuse me while I go bang my head on something hard.

Thank you for waiting. Bloodlines is the start of the spinoff series from Vampire Academy. Now I know (actually, heard) about how terrible the movie was, so I'm not going to go into that. But if you are really upset by how the movie was adapted, I would suggest you go read Bloodlines. On second thought, don't read Bloodlines. Wait until 2015 to read Bloodlines, so you can get this series over with without being upset at yourself. Or read it now and be like me: freaking upset at my stupidity to read this book and sequels already.

Okay, dokey. Bloodlines is awesome. I really enjoyed it. I have to admit that when Rose and Dimitri, I had a little fangirl moment. Too bad, they didn't show up at the exact same moment. Rose was somewhere in the beginning. Dimitri was at the last page of the freaking book. So it wasn't much, but it was still awesome. Anyway, any characters from Vampire Academy like Eddie, Rose, and Dimitri and show up in Bloodlines are awesome. Oh, I should mention Adrian, too. He's still drinking.

Sydney and Adrian. I'm just waiting for them to happen. They have good chemistry, but it's not too strong. Hopefully, they will be a couple by the end of the series. I'm shipping those two lovebirds. Let's hope they will be together.

The plot and conflicts are entertaining. Sydney is sort of nervous around vampires, but she isn't as nervous as before. She handles them all very nicely. I really enjoyed reading from her POV. Anyway, there's a bunch of things going on. First of all, kids at her school are getting tattoos with similar properties as alchemist tattoos, so she suspects something bad is going on. There's a few other things going on like witchcraft so it does indeed get interesting.

The ending of Bloodlines leave off with the appearance of Dimitri. There isn't much, but I have to admit that I'm so excited to see him. Of course, Adrian doesn't seem to happy and won't be when he finds out. After all, Dimitri was always the one for Rose and Adrian sort of hates him because of it. Poor Adrian. His heart is always on the line. You can't but feel so terrible for him. Richelle Mead plays with his heart.

Anything worth mentioning: More Adrian and Sydney scenes. They are awesome. BTW, I would love if Sydney would talk more about her work. She doesn't seem very open about the alchemists. Very secretive.

Rating: Five out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment