Friday, April 18, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout Review


"Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is."

This is not I am Number Four. Yes, there's aliens, but it's not strange little green men. Nope, it's strange human-sized bright men and women. No, it's not supposed to make sense. It's a bit complicated, but I'll take down challenge.

Challenge Accepted. I had to do that. Anyway, Daemon is the local alien. He is made out of light. Literally, made out of light. Isn't that impressive? Sounds like a sparkly vampire we all know. Just kidding. Still, they both give off light. There are more people like Daemon, but there are darker aliens (of course). They are people/aliens which are made of darkness. So Daemon is of light (despite his name) and the other aliens are of darkness. I mean, actually force of light. Daemon is actual force of light.

Points are given to the author for the appearance of Men In Black. Cheers for getting the government involved! It's always fun when those Men In Black people appear. There isn't much information about them other than the fact that they are government people. They don't know about the aliens' real powers. I guess, we'll have to see if anything interesting goes on. MIB is always fun to read.

Okay, let's get this straight. Daemon is a jerk. He's a jerk, I repeat. He's a jerk. I have no idea why he's so mean other than the fact that MIB hunts any human that looks to have a relationship with an alien. That's the only notable reason I see. Other that fact, I don't see any reason why for Daemon to be a jerk. I don't know why the main character likes him so much. I was sort of hoping he was actually his twin brother (yeah, he had a twin), because he has bipolar disorder. Or at least, that's what I believe.

Katy, on the other hand, is a bloggist. Specifically, she's a book reviewer. She's kinder (unlike the jerk). She managed to worm her way into the hearts of the aliens. Then she somehow became more awesome. No questions answered by the author. I'm telling the truth. No questions are answered. I have no idea how she suddenly became more awesome.

Throughout the entire book, I was hoping Katy to be a bad guy. Sort of like an enemy alien. Is that weird or something? Perhaps, I'm weird. Still, I was hoping Katy to be more awesome. Because she was (before the ending) that boring.

Overall, I think Obsidian was great. The biggest problem was the dullness of the main character. As for the Twilightness, the author has to work on that. Let's face it. No book should look or sound like Twilight. Ever again.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment