Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Girl Undone by Catherine Linka Review


"On the run with deadly government secrets, Avie must decide if she can live up to her name and truly become fearless for the cause or if it’s better to just give in.

The sequel and explosive conclusion to A Girl Called Fearless.

Having survived a violent confrontation with the US government, Avie is not out of danger. Both she and the young man she loves, Yates, have been declared terrorists, and Yates is hospitalized in critical condition, leaving Avie with the perilous task of carrying information that can bring down the Paternalist party, if she can get it into the right hands.

Forced on the run with handsome, enigmatic woodsman Luke, Avie struggles when every turn becomes a choice between keeping the two of them alive or completing their mission. With her face on every news channel and a quarter million dollar reward from the man who still owns her marriage Contract, Avie’s worst fears are about to come true.

Equal parts thrilling and romantic, A Girl Undone is sure to keep your heart racing right until the very end."

NetGalley! Thanks for the copy.

So I read A Girl Called Fearless. I rated it a Four out of Five (which is high for me, and I don't give out Fives very frequently). The book is pretty awesome, and when I saw a chance to read the sequel, I jumped on it. (Which is perhaps not a kind way of saying that). 

A Girl Undone is the conclusion of the series and the second book. Honestly, I originally thought it was a trilogy, so I was sort of surprised when the ending came. And how final it sounded (until I read the synopsis again. Gosh, I'm an idiot sometimes). A Girl Undone stars a society that is extremely paternalistic. As a girl, there are a couple times when I simply wanted to chuck my computer (the device I'm reading this book on) out of the window before I'm reminded by my brilliant brain that I have a lot of important stuff on there. There are instances of self-preservation, greed, more greed, political agendas, and most stunning of all, courage. 

Courage could be small things. Courage could be speaking out at the right moments and standing for what is right and not what is easy. Avie is a girl, a teen girl who is pretty much stuck in one disgusting situation. Worth fifty million dollars and in a gilded cage, she sprung free in the previous book and ran away to the resistance against the paternalist government. Now, I'm not going to go on and reveal spoilers for this book, but Avie's character development is slow and careful. There are things that bring her down... I mean undone (hahaha, I'm so hilarious). But yeah, I totally like Avie and her sometimes reckless behavior (a bit more of a "Act, then ask questions" person). 

Plotwise, the book has some loose ends. There is a bit about Luke that confused me. In fact, Luke's subplot at the end just... weirded me out (can't go into more details). Hawkins (Avie's to-be husband) is also weird, and his fate is... well, I guess it isn't really bad. Deeps... Now, that is a weird situation completely. (Gosh, I'm saying "weird" a lot). But the ending isn't terribly bad. At least someone got a happy ending. 

But let me say that the ride is better in the beginning, middle, and beginning of the ending. You get that? (*squinting eyes*) Hmm... Probably not. 

Overall, A Girl Undone is a wonderful read from beginning to ending's beginning (now, I just sound like I'm high on sugar). There are great characters, and there are great parts, too. The ending... however... I hate loose ends. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment