Sunday, February 1, 2015

Unmarked by Kami Garcia Review


"The heart-pounding sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller, Unbreakable, by New York Times bestselling Beautiful Creatures co-author Kami Garcia.

He is here... and he could be anyone.

Kennedy Waters lives in a world where vengeance spirits kill, ghosts keep secrets, and a demon walks among us–a demon she accidentally set free.

Now Kennedy and the other Legion members–Alara, Priest, Lukas, and Jared–have to hunt him down. As they learn more about the history of the Legion and the Illuminati, Kennedy realizes that the greatest mystery of all does not belong to any secret order, but to her own family. With the clock ticking and the life of someone she loves hanging in the balance, Kennedy has to ask the question she fears most: what is it about her past that has left her Unmarked?"


Wow. Did I just read this book yesterday? It felt like a whole lifetime ago. 

Unmarked is the second book of The Legion series. It is written by Kami Garcia, who is one of the authors of the Beautiful Creatures series. I rated the previous book a four out of five, and yes, I'm doing background. I know I very much wanted the sequel, and I finally got it.

After so long. So memories can fade a bit.

Anyway, Kennedy returns to her "normal life." But after setting a demon (a very nasty demon, to be correct) free, she can't really return. She is hunted (and FYI, Blogger's spell check is telling me that this should be "haunted," which actually works) by that said demon, and there are secrets all over the place. Especially with her family. Those types of secrets. Throughout the book, she gets torn apart into pieces. She thinks she is insane (though it is clear she isn't). She knows she is hunted by that said demon. The boy she loves let go of her and walked right back into her life (which gets things complicated). And things get even more complicated when secrets get uncovered.

In my opinion, Kennedy is a strong character. She isn't broken completely, and she knows that she has to fight if she wants that chance.

The plot goes by fast, and I find it refreshing. It is so nice to read this after all this time. (Between Kami Garcia and her co-author of Beautiful Creatures, I will admit that I like Kami Garcia's style and pacing better. Stohl has her own set of skills and forte). 

Anyway, the ending left me all confused though! I was like... what? That is the ending? What kind of ending is that? The ending is sort of strange, and it didn't really feel like a cliffhanger. Well, not a cliffhanger plotwise. But character-wise? Cliffhanger. More personal than external, if you get me. But that cliffhanger! Now, I want the next book in this series.

Guess I have to wait.

ALL OVER AGAIN! 

Overall, Unmarked is a great adventure. It isn't up to par with the previous book (whose name I suddenly forgotten, because my mind draws a blank once in awhile). (To be truthful, Unmarked is slightly not as good as the first book). But it made my expectations, so... Rating is still the same as last time.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment