Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling Review


"No one performs on the circus trapeze like 16-year-old Rémy Brunel. But Rémy also leads another life, prowling through the backstreets of Victorian London as a jewel thief. When she is forced to steal one of the world’s most valuable diamonds, she uncovers a world of treachery and fiendish plots.

Meanwhile, young detective Thaddeus Rec is determined to find the jewel and clear his name. Will Thaddeus manage to rescue the jewel? Or is it really Rémy that he needs to save?"









Wow, wow, wow. The Diamond Thief is a very, very, very hot mess. I can't even... I don't even know where to start. There are so many places to explore...

Well, let's start with the plot. I know that this is sort of an adventure, but it is also very confusing. Things don't fall upon each other very easily. It is like... a bumbling mess. One block isn't laid upon another very neatly. The events... don't flow very smoothly. Yes, the plot is fast-paced, but it only makes the story feel even more weird. Though it is nice to see the story start like... Right away! Snap of a finger.

The curse, world, and tech stuff is all weird. I wish there is some more explanation about the curse (Remy's curse, mind you), the steampunk parts of the book (the tech stuff, that is what I'm talking about), and more descriptions (the world). It doesn't feel very full. There isn't... enough details. And I wish for some more descriptions.

And I don't like the characters either.

Let's start with Remy. She is boring. I mean, seriously. She is boring. Yes, she has a ton of feelings, but I sort of dislike how she is sometimes. I get it, but I seriously... Actually, I change my mind. I change my mind. She is okay.

I don't like Thaddeus. Seriously. I don't like him. They say that he is a cool head, but throughout the entire darn book, he is a fiery, thick-headed guy. 

But Remy is perfectly boring. Okay. Thank you very much. I figured out the source of my dislike for Remy. Thank you, Thaddeus for convincing me that Remy is incapable of helping herself like a damsel in distress. Thank you, Thaddeus for putting up a bad reputation on Remy. That is very helpful indeed.

Even better? (Or worse, depending on how you look at it). They have no chemistry. Neither of them have chemistry with each other. Seriously, I don't get the feeling that they are in love... Seriously, I don't. Not at all.

Overall, I don't really like The Diamond Thief. My advice is to send it back to editing. My recommendation is to not read it. And if there are sequels (apparently there might be, according to Goodreads), don't read that either. Unless The Diamond Thief's sequels improve magically.

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment