Saturday, February 14, 2015

An Uncertain Choice by Jody Hedlund Review


"Due to her parents' promise at her birth, Lady Rosemarie has been prepared to become a nun on the day she turns eighteen. Then, a month before her birthday, a friend of her father's enters the kingdom and proclaims her parents' will left a second choice. If Rosemarie can marry before the eve of her eighteenth year, she will be exempt from the ancient vow. 

Before long, Rosemarie is presented with the three most handsome and brave knights in the land. But when the competition for her heart seemingly results in a knight playing foul, she begins to wonder if the cloister is the best place after all. If only one of the knights the one who appears the most guilty had not already captured her heart."






Netgalley. Another waterfall of thanks to them. 

An Uncertain Choice had me giggling like a darn schoolgirl while reading it from beginning to the end. Seriously. Like a darn schoolgirl. I was just like... I can't stop laughing. There is wit mixed with a very, very serious danger. But it is all balanced very well, and I can't help but enjoy the book immensely even though it is slightly cheesy at some points. (Yes, it is slightly cheesy. At some parts of the book, and it bothered me a little, but it didn't ruin my experience). 

So... Let's review this book in greater details.

The book is told from two POVs. One is Sir Derrick's. The other is Rosemarie. Sir Derrick's chapters happen less frequently than Lady Rosemarie's, but they are both equally enjoyable. So I will give points to the author for making them really interesting. And you can seriously tell the difference between these two characters. 

Rosemarie... Well, think of the nicest Disney princess. That is her. She is definitely nice, almost to the point of singing to the birds and having the Heavens rain glorious light on her. But she is definitely scarred, and I do have to applaud her in the moments of her greatest strength and courage. Amazing. I can definitely see why the knights like her.

And the two knights. They are both witty and hilarious. Great humor. And the third one (the one who actually won Rosemarie's heart) does have his moments, too. 

But seriously. The competition's winner was obvious from beginning to ending. But it doesn't stop me from giggling. (Seriously. I was giggling while people from two tables over were looking at me like "What in the world is that crazy girl thinking/laughing at?" I bet someone was thinking this: "She belongs in the loony bin.") 

But it is the ending that made me slam my head into the wall. What is that? What kind of ending is that? It is like... What? I hate cliffhangers. Yes, it is the epilogue, but epilogues don't end like that! That is not the epilogue. More like the last chapter. The back-door chapter to kick off the sequel. 

Overall, An Uncertain Choice is an entertaining book. There are mentions of religion, yes. And I find that the villain is highly compelling. I can't explain it in great detail, because of spoilers, but I will say that I find the villain similar to today's villains. Very interesting. Very interesting part of the book.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment