Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Magic Dark and Bright by Jenny Adams Perinovic Review


"She meant to help a ghost...not unleash a curse.

Amelia Dupree hasn’t seen the Woman in White since the night her brother died. 

The ghost seems to have disappeared from the woods surrounding Asylum, Pennsylvania—that is, until Charlie Blue moves into the creepy old MacAllister House next door. Amelia can’t help liking him, even though she spent her childhood thinking his grandmother was a witch. And she definitely can’t ignore the connection between his arrival and the Woman in White’s return. 

Then Amelia learns that the Woman in White is a prisoner, trapped between the worlds of the living and the dead. Devastated by the idea that her brother could be suffering a similar fate, Amelia decides to do whatever it takes to help the Woman in White find peace--and Charlie agrees to help her.

But when Amelia’s classmates start to drown in the Susquehanna River, one right after another, rumors swirl as people begin to connect the timing of Charlie’s arrival with the unexplained deaths. As Charlie and Amelia uncover the dark history of Asylum, they realize they may have unleashed an unspeakable evil. One they have to stop before everything they love is destroyed."

I have a lot of thoughts about A Magic Dark and Bright. Most of them aren't very pleasant, actually. Honestly, I'm quite disappointed by it all. Yes, disappointed.

A Magic Dark and Bright didn't latch onto me very nicely. I was pretty bored with it, and I had to leave to read something else (or more like a hundred articles about World News). Anyway, I came back when I was sugar-high, hoping A Magic Dark and Bright would catch my eye somehow. Halfway in, I was bored out of my mind. Three quarters, still bored. Even the ending didn't interest me.

(It didn't help that I was shouting "Salt & Burn!" throughout the book. Blame Sam and Dean Winchester for everything, okay). 

And what else?

The plot didn't flow very easy. I didn't like it at all. There are some parts of the book that felt way too convenient. (And I mean Charlie jumping onboard about the ghost part). I'm serious. These days, if you claim you saw a ghost, you get sent to the mental hospital. And if you believe someone who saw a ghost... then you are a follower of a cult. 

(Well, I'm not quite sure this is how it goes, but it is probably something like this. Right, eh? Or maybe not). 

Then there are some questionable parts of the story. Just questionable. Along with the jumping onboard the "Amelia saw a ghost and know it's real," there is the other part. Ransom's storyline was a bit strange, but it wasn't surprising. But seriously, I find the entire story to be just... strange and awkwardly put together.

It didn't flow right. 

Amelia herself was a bit strange, especially about the ghost part. But she didn't really stand out to me, and I couldn't really bring myself to like her. Yes, I wanted to like her (and Charlie and Leah), but... I couldn't. 

Sorry, but A Magic Dark and Bright isn't one for me.

Rating: One out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment