Monday, February 16, 2015

The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead Review


"The epic conclusion to Richelle Mead's New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series is finally here...

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.

After their secret romance is exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series. When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world."



Am I the only one who thinks that there is something missing in The Ruby Circle? 

Well, let's dig a bit. Because clearly, what I said just then is not enough. Not enough to point out the beef I have with this book.

Told from Sydney and Adrian's POV, The Ruby Circle is the final book in the Bloodlines series. The Bloodline series is the following series after the... I forgot what that series is. I seriously forgot. What is that name? Hmm... Don't remember. Anyway, The Ruby Circle's sneak peeks seemed to be promising, but I was disappointed when I read the book. Severely disappointed. 

Let's talk about the characters. 

Sydney is okay. She seems a bit... boring. Yes, there are some moments of pure awesomeness from her, but I sort of expected more. Maybe, I expected a bit more magic. Hmm... As for Adrian, I know that he seemed way more than off. But he has good character development and some nice work. That touch of insanity is still there, but it isn't so bad. Though I wished Adrian could had quieted his aunt a bit more permanently. She is a bit... not alright in the head. (And this is one of the issues I have, but more info on that later). 

It is nice to see old characters come back. Let's talk about the good people. Rose. Dimitri. I wish they had a few more scenes, but it wasn't so bad. Though I wished Zmey visited. He would be a very nice addition. 

The villain of this book is more meh. I was mostly bored and unimpressed with her/him. 

The delivery of some parts of the book (specifically the plot) seemed off. (I could talk about subplots, but I'm going to mention that later). The plot did work, but barely. The Ruby Circle was much more character-centric than adventure (though it does take some wild swerves sometimes). 

And now, let's get to the ending. 

Some of the subplots were left wide open. So open that I could steal a truck and drive through them without getting a scratch on that car. I assume there might be another series coming after this one (I won't be surprised), but it is still unfortunate that we have... more loose ends. I recall the last series closing much better than this. Also, the epilogue was just weird, and I couldn't get any real closure. It felt like there was still more to come, and I wasn't really satisfied. 

When I took a look back at the previous series (still don't know the name), I found that it was much more livelier than this one. This last book felt like... dead. Dead. 

Overall, The Ruby Circle is as appealing to me as its cover. I seriously just wish for it to never exist in the first place. Or maybe, I wish for it to go through some more editing.

Rating: Two out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment