Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ensnared by A.G. Howard Review


"After surviving a disastrous battle at prom, Alyssa has embraced her madness and gained perspective. She's determined to rescue her two worlds and the people and netherlings she loves. Even if it means challenging Queen Red to a final battle of wills and wiles . . . and even if the only way to Wonderland, now that the rabbit hole is closed, is through the looking-glass world--a parallel dimension filled with mutated and violent netherling outcasts. In the final installment of the wildly popular Splintered trilogy, Alyssa and her dad journey into the heart of magic and mayhem in search of her mom and to set right all that's gone wrong. Together with Jeb and Morpheus, they must salvage Wonderland from the decay and destruction that has ensnared it. But if they succeed and come out alive, can everyone truly have their happily ever after?"




Ensnared. This is the last of the series. Finally. Finally, I get my hands on this! (After reading Dead of Winter and realizing it isn't the conclusion, I have to jump to something that definitely concludes some of the feelings I have). So there is a love triangle. Again. There is also another thing. The fight against Red is definitely going to be destructive. 

So Ensnared kicks off pretty fast. We find more about Red's history, and it is wow. There is a lot of things you didn't know, and suddenly, there is this (minor) information dump. The plot goes really fast, and sometimes, I have to reread things to make sure I read that right. 

Because it is Wonderland. And Wonderland is insane. 

(Plus, I have a picture of the Cheshire Cat. Somewhere on my blog. But that isn't very important right now. I have no idea why I decided to mention that). 

Things start getting crazy, and when Morpheus shows up, you know that everything is not going to be in Alyssa's control. Because that is the way it is. Morpheus always screws things up. Or maybe it is the other way around. He makes the ending happen. You can look at it either way. And from Jeb's POV, it will probably be the former. 

The sad part is that Alyssa doesn't really have choices. And she knows it. It is really sad. Really sad. Like everything gets controlled by other people other than her, and she ends up being the person who gets handed over and over. She is not really... active. There is always someone watching her. It might be her dad. Or Morpheus. Even Jeb. 

And the ending is a real... sucker. I really don't like it. I mean... seriously? There is a ridiculous information dump, and it is so annoying. I'm like... I have to absorb all of this information and understand from it? I don't blame Alyssa at all for not understanding a word of what Ivory Queen or her parents are saying. I would be out of it, too. 

Overall, Ensnared isn't exactly the conclusion to the series I thought it would be. Personally, my favorite is the second book of the trilogy. This book is all... Cuckoo, and everything just gets turn upside down by the ending. Let's just say this. The beginning is good. Middle is excellent. The ending is... It just tanked. 

There is no better way of saying that.

Rating: Three out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment