Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blood of My Blood by Barry Lyga Review


"Jazz Dent has never been closer to catching his father.
Jazz has been shot and left to die in New York. His girlfriend, Connie, is in the clutches of Jazz's monstrous father, Billy--the world's most notorious serial killer. And his best friend, Howie, is bleeding to death on the floor of Jazz's new home. 

Somehow, these three must rise above the horrors and find a way to come together in pursuit of Billy. 

But then Jazz crosses a line he's never crossed before, and soon the entire country is wondering: "Like father, like son? Who is the true monster?"

From New York City to the small town of Lobo's Nod, the chase is on, and this time, Jazz is the hunted, not the hunter--while Billy Dent lurks in the shadows. 

And beyond Billy? Something much, much worse. Prepare to meet...the Crow King.

From acclaimed author Barry Lyga comes the shocking conclusion to the bestselling I Hunt Killer trilogy."

Now this is a case of crazy. 

Blood of My Blood starts off right away. It starts where Game ends. It starts right away, and darn, it is a crazy ride from beginning to end. It is really sad how none of the characters can really take a break. Really sad. Because there is so much in here, and I wish that they can all take a short vacation. Especially Jazz. He should go away to Hawaii and try to avoid everyone in general.

So many kills. Dead people.

Well, it seems like there were a lot. The actual number is probably two or three. Some of them deserved it. Others didn't. The usual. 

Let's talk about the villain. The villain is perhaps the most fascinating part of the entire book. Not Billy. But the Crow King. Now that is an interesting study. I can probably think about that particular character over and over again, wondering what made him/her this way. What exactly... No. Let's not get into that wondering. 

Jazz's mental health definitely concerns me. He is sometimes creepy. He still has a moral code, yes, but it starts blurring to the point of scaring me. Seriously. Sometimes, I wonder whether or not he will go dark. Sometimes, he might. Sometimes, he still has a check on his emotions. Either way, it is darn creepy. There is a delicate balance there, and I don't know what might tip it.

How about the gore? Or the murder? I think it is really interesting, and some of the psychological things might interest some readers and disgust others. Flip of a coin. Hard to tell.

But overall, I think Blood of My Blood is a really creepy read. There are some parts that make me go... wow. Billy has gone dark all over again. But at the end of the book, I thought, "I guess a little karma goes around and comes around." Of course, it might be not the kind of ending some would expect. But Blood of My Blood doesn't fail in boring readers.

That I would tell you is true. Boredom is just not part of the book.

Creepiness and that Criminal Minds-feeling? Oh, yes. That is there.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment