Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen Review


"A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!"

The False Prince was soooo gooooood! I remember how surprising the plot twist was. Sage/Jaron was really the missing prince in question. Ahhh! I love how the author deceived me even though I don't like being lied to. Oh well, I got the pleasant experience of reading The False Prince, which totally makes it up. 

The Runaway King is slightly different from The False Prince. One of my fellow readers spoiled the book by telling me it's good. (Dang it! I didn't want to know that). But yeah, it's pretty good, but not as good as The Runaway King. Not as much romancing time or school-boy time, but more I'm-the-prince-even-though-I'm-Sage time. Let me clear this up: Jaron, in this book, is going undercover as Sage once again. 

There is a good plot twist, although I'm quite suspicious that something bad will eventually happen in the third book. I don't know why, but The Runaway King and The False Prince reminds me of Ocean's Eleven. Something about that plot twist of Ocean's Eleven is so similar to Jaron's big move and actions and schemes and plans. 

Need more character development on Jaron. He's still cocky and sarcastic as usual. He's such a little boy. I wonder if he's ever going to grow up. Even in the face of danger, he's not scared at all (well, on the outside). Sometimes, I want his perfect acting face to fall apart. Like he ends up crying and sobbing and wanting his mother (sorry, I'm not trying to be cruel, but he doesn't seem to like his parents very much). 

The story, overall, is amazing. I'm pleased by how Jennifer A. Nielsen was able to fit all these puzzles together. It totally pushed the limit to a new level. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next book. Fingers crossed that Jaron will end up with "Cinderella." (I hope you get who's Cinderella in this book). 

The ending made me...Yeah, speechless. Suddenly, the entire series sinks (in a good way) like Girl of Fire and Thorns. The second book of the series (Girl of Fire and Thorns, not this series) is like The Runaway King. Hmm...I guess The False Prince is to Girl of Fire and Thorns as Sage/Jaron is to Princess Something (can't remember her name). Anyway, I just want to say I can't wait for the next book, where this whole charade should be resolved. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment