Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder Review


"Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear..."

Poison Study...is about poison. Not real poisons, of course. Just fictional poisons the author made up. But either way, real or not, poisons are pretty awesome. Poison Study totally reminds me of a personal favorite, Grave Mercy. Both books are rather similar. Both girls are strong and resistance. Both girls had horrible pasts. Both girls are skilled in fighting and have a strong knowledge of poisons. 

Either way, Poison Study has my point in its favor. Fighting, poison, love, and death. What more do I need? It's my perfect book combo. Mystery books like these always keep me up on my toes. I love the way it makes me beg for more. (I want to read the next book; it's so good). 

Meet Yelena, with no notable last names like most characters in this book. I guess most characters really like one word names. Anyway, Yelena is awesome, fighting, and poisonous chick with powers of her own. (Oh, I love how duty tears all). Yelena, despite her awesomeness, is little more cuckoo (not as much as Katniss Everdeen) than Ismae from Grave Mercy. It's easy to understand why since she has a terrifying past. Anyway, let me just say that Yelena is one awesome girl who is a formidable force. Watch out for that girl.

Even worse (in a good way) is Velak. He's the crazy assassin (okay, not that crazy, but crazy enough like most characters). Similar to Duvel (from Grave Mercy; I really love that book because it kept be entertained while I was in Canada), Valek is one of the most frustrating characters ever. Turn on that Katy Perry song. Yes, that one with the hot and cold guy. "You're hot then you're cold. It's yes and then no." I may have gotten the lyrics wrong, but at least you'll get an idea. I hope. 

The plot thickens. Poison Study has more agendas than paper. Most plots and schemes are in people's heads rather than on paper where people can read them. Hmm...the major players in this book (I mean, the powerful players) are Velak, the general, and the Commander. Oh, I can't forget about the magicians along with our girl, Yelena. She's a powerful piece in her own way. A very powerful piece.  

Aww! The ending is so cute. I'm not going to explain it other than this: Duty will tear them apart. Hmm...I think you'll most likely understand these words. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment