Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep Review


"I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life."

Dark Frost is one bad book. Bad in a good way. Bad in a bad way. Let's me say this: This book is where everything goes from bad to worse. Just read the synopsis of the next book and you'll understand why everything is going down.

Despite all of this, Dark Frost is awesome. There's a few fine points in this book of darkness. Gwen learns to trust Nike (or at least respects her a bit more). We know why the cranky librarian "hates" Gwen. And the bond between Logan and Gwen certainly deepen. Oh, and we also find out the identity of Loki's Champion. Grandma Frost is a formidable force. I learn not to piss off Grandma Frost. She will poison me with her cookies or kill me with her sword.

First kill for Gwen happens in this book. Gwen does fall a little bit (like all good characters and Percy Jackson), but it's obvious that her time to rise is coming soon. Even though her powers are simply beginning to reveal itself, it's clear that it's going to be rising out of her. Stealing people's lives or something. Manipulating people like Loki's Champion. Whatever. The true power of Niki's Champion has yet to be revealed.

Logan. I have a really funky feeling that Gwen's going to need Logan. I can say one thing about her fighting skills and I'll say it's not happening. She's a horrible fighter unless there's someone who could fight stays near her. Of course, that person has to be on her side. Logan, Daphne, the Celt or Green Irishmen (I like to call him that). But every hero (or heroine) needs his/her friends. It has always been that way. So go and tune on that Barney song of "I love you" and that sort of crap. Yes, Barney as in the purple dinosaur. No! Not Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, although he does need his bro.

I can't wait for the sequel for Dark Frost. Even though it's already out, I have to wait for the book to arrive. I hate shipping and handling and all that hallelujah. Anyway, I just want to say that this series is starting to become even more frosty. (There's nothing to do with snow. Other than snowflake necklaces and the last name Frost. Nothing to do with winter). 

The storyline is downright hilarious. Okay, Gwen is becoming mature. She's slowly evolving into a young woman. I hope to see more of that along with Nike. I want some more Nike scenes. Nike, the goddess of victory, is awesome. 

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment