Friday, February 14, 2014

Afterglow by Karsten Knight Review


"In this conclusion to the Wildefire trilogy, teen volcano goddess Ashline Wilde learns her former love, Colt Halliday, has an evil plan to kill the Cloak, benevolent beings who oversee the gods. Also, he wants to merge Ash and her two sisters back into a single, too-powerful goddess, Pele. Ash must stop her trickster-god ex-boyfriend once and for all, by feeding a few flames."

I thought I wouldn't finish this trilogy, but I had a lot of time to kill at the library. I picked up this book in the new book section and read the entire book, cover to cover. This time I do not regret it, because the trilogy did improve.

I no longer like Colt Halliday. He's an idiot along with a bunch of other nicknames. Scumbag. Loser. Selfish dunce. Cheater. There's plenty more. Just simply mentally add in names after cheater. Colt Halliday is going down (in my mind) ever since the first chapter of Afterglow. Colt is a good villain, but a horrible dad (or babysitter, whatever you call it). 

That's the only change I have. No longer supports Colt Halliday and that's it. Oh, I definitely agree that Afterglow is on the plus side of the trilogy. 

Afterglow follows the last part of Ashline Wilde's journey. Boy! There's a lot of things on fire, not only the earth. More characters pop out like Colt Halliday's true "girlfriend." It turns out Pele (Ashline Wilde is one third of Pele) is the mistress and Colt was cheated on his girlfriend with Pele all along. Isn't that lovely? I agree. Along with the goddess of nightmares (Colt's girlfriend), there was Artemis (goddess of the moon), a goddess of memory, Aphrodite (goddess of beauty and love) and some more gods. Too bad there wasn't any other gods. I wanted to see Athena (goddess of wisdom).

What's a plus in Afterglow is the issue of sisters. Eve and Rose (Ashline's sisters and the other parts of Pele) explodes in this book. I don't really like how Karsten Knight tied up the Rose plot, because it seemed a bit messy. A very messy cleanup. Nice try is what I thought after I watched Knight clean that plot up. Eve, on the other hand, had a nicer cleanup, but it was a shame she ended that way. On the plus side, Eve had a nice ending and was very touchy/heartfelt. That was a nice change of the rudge girl she is.

Ashline Wide totally changed. From a violent, I-don't-take-crap, smart, and cold girl, Ashline turns into question-before-fighting and warmer girl. She was very sweet with her sisters in the end. It looks like she forgives them for their sins. 

It's a nice ending. I'm serious. It's a really nice ending. Well, Afterglow has a really nice ending. It ties everything up. Although some facts are sort of shaky, Afterglow is nicely put together. I really enjoy the last book and the first book. The middle book was a bit...eh...like a middle child. Whiny, and looking for attention.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment