Saturday, February 8, 2014

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep Review


"I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword..."

The mystery in this book, Kiss of Frost, is so obvious. I'm not sure how Gwen didn't even see the true villain of the book. Of course, I won't tell (maybe I will).

Kiss of Frost, the second book in this series, follows Touch of Frost. The word Frost refers to Gwen Frost's last name, most likely. There's nothing else that is frosty than her last name. No one kisses in this book...wait, Logan and Gwen kiss (finally! they have great chemistry together). Anyway, let me say this one thing: Kiss of Frost is even better than Touch of Frost. Kiss of Frost is just awesome, even though the hints dropped by Jennifer Estep are a little too obvious for my liking. (The girls like to guess a bit more).

One twist I didn't even see is the motives behind Oliver. I have to say this right now because I'm shocked and bedridden (that's a lie, but let's pretend). Oliver was partially Gwen's problem, but he's awesome. I'm not going to say anything about it, but I was really shocked about his crush. Okay, let me say it's a guy. And Oliver is a guy.

The villain of the story is the reaper and Loki, the trickster god. (Isn't Loki the villain in that new movie or something? I can't seem to remember). I don't know why it took so long for Gwen to figure out who the reaper is, but I guess the author has to drag out the plot. Even though it's very annoying. The plot overall, minus the plot dragging, is rather entertaining. The events leading Gwen on can sometimes be so...frustrating. 

Gwen Frost is kicking butts. What kind of gal kicks butts? Awesome I-don't-take-crap gals. Deadly and amazing. Of course, she had a little help from Mr. Hottie. I like her; but for most of the book, she is trying to get over with the fact that Logan still has a girlfriend. Yeah, if I guy said the same things he said, I wouldn't like it very much. And I would also say he has wandering eyes. Wandering eyes. Never trust a guy who already has a girlfriend. That is signs of possible future cheating tendencies. 

The best moment: When Gwen goes and acts like a psychopath. That's the part when her limit is pushed too far. (And you are going to call me crazy for saying that. Go ahead, call me crazy. And call me a lunatic). You realize how much she really cares about her mother and grandmother. It's kind of...a tender moment in a way.

The craziest part: When Gwen doesn't see the answer standing right in front of her. Literally.

Rating: Four out of Five

No comments:

Post a Comment